Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Trusting in God's Sovereignty

by Debbi Weeks

It’s over! Praise the Lord it’s over – at least for another four years! I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of November 5th for a long time. November 4th has come and gone (woo hoo! ). I’m not one who enjoys controversy, so this election season has been an uncomfortable time for me.

As I write this I don’t know who was selected to be our next president. I don’t know if my candidates won or if the propositions I supported passed, but I am trusting God that He will use whoever and by whatever means He deems necessary to accomplish His purposes.

I BELIEVE IN THE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD. I can rest assured that today (and yesterday) God is in control.

During this time I’ve been reminded of the memory verse from our study of Daniel last year – Daniel 2:20-21 (NIV):

"Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.”

I think controversy is something I’m going to have to get used to as our country becomes more and more polarized. As believers in Jesus Christ, standing up for righteousness is beginning to include persecution and may soon include suffering. I rest in knowing that God is going to take care of it all. I’m just called to be faithful no matter what the circumstances. But I can rejoice that I am but an alien here – this world is not my home! Come, Lord Jesus, come. And, I am thankful that November 5th is finally here! Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever!

Father, God I praise You for Your sovereignty. Oh how I praise You that You are in control and that Your plans cannot be thwarted.
I confess when I take my eyes off of You that I can become scared. Please forgive me when I lack faith and don’t trust You fully.
Thank You that our security is not based on man’s wisdom or governments. Thank You that this world is not my home.
Please allow me to see Your hand at work in our country – whether it be Your blessing or Your discipline. Thy will be done, Lord.
In Christ’s Name, Amen.

2 comments:

Katie Lady said...

Thanks Debbi. As always, you remind me how gracious God is to show us His sovereignty in situations like these. We are promised many things in the short life span we have on this earth and persecution is one of those things. We are blessed as American believers because we haven't really seen much suffering in our persecution. I know that God will use these days, be they ever so short, to prepare us for what He created us for--ETERNITY. Now, we just need to be busy about His business, using His Word to soothe the fears and anxieties of many who may share our values, but not our belief in a God who knows it all ahead of time. We have much to do. I, too, have remembered our memory verse from Daniel and have multiple opportunities to share it with others. Blessings, friend.

joy said...

Amen, Debbi. I have been enjoying all the reminders that God is in control and that he sets up rulers and deposes them.