Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Dominator

by Sue Donaldson


I was on a walk through our neighborhood with a woman who has made up her mind, it seems, against Christianity. We were in the midst of (finally) an “under the surface” conversation—I’d been gently probing, while at the same time ever-conscious of stepping on toes. We love and respect each other but haven’t spent much time together. I had been praying for a window through which I could share Christ.

We were almost back to the house when she began explaining her one-time interest in Buddhism and yoga. I began making appropriate responses and polite noises, and she suddenly exclaimed:
“Well, it’s not as if it dominates my life!”

I was so startled and gratified to hear her use that phrase that I stopped and turned to her and said:

“Well, my faith does dominate my life!”

No news to her – she just smiled and said, “I know.” And, God opened the window a little further.

A.W. Tozer said this:
“What I believe about God is the most important thing about my life.”

His belief system dominated his life – it gave him his identity, his direction, his passion. What anyone believes about God is the most important thing in their lives, whether or not they acknowledge it.

Paul wrote:
“If you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9)

What we believe has to with life and death--heaven or hell. I’d say that’s the most important thing about us – whether or not we give any thought to it or allow it to dominate our lives.
What is the most important thing about your life? God wants it to be Him. He will take care of the rest. God wants to be dominant--do you want to be dominated?

Lord, I believe--help me with my unbelief. May I be dominated by You--no matter what it takes. Amen.

No comments: