Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Meditation

by Peggy Brown

Since this week is Thanksgiving, I wanted to focus on that, and I will post “Passing the Baton Part II” next week.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t spend enough time being thankful. I get so caught up in daily life that I forget to notice, let alone express gratitude for, all of God’s wonderful gifts. Thanksgiving always provides me with the impetus to stop and consider God’s many blessings.

Those of you who attend POW sang this hymn last week, but it touched me and I wanted to contemplate the words again.

Thanks to God for My Redeemer
August L. Storm 1891

Thanks to God for my Redeemer, thanks for all Thou dost provide!
Thanks for times now but a memory, thanks for Jesus by my side!
Thanks for pleasant, balmy springtime, thanks for dark and dreary fall!
Thanks for tears by now forgotten, thanks for peace within my soul!

Thanks for prayers that Thou hast answered, thanks for what Thou dost deny!
Thanks for storms that I have weathered, thanks for all Thou dost supply!
Thanks for pain and thanks for pleasure, thanks for comfort in despair!
Thanks for grace that none can measure, thanks for love beyond compare!

Thanks for roses by the wayside, thanks for thorns their stems contain!
Thanks for homes and thanks for fireside, thanks for hope, that sweet refrain!
Thanks for joy and thanks for sorrow, thanks for heavenly peace with Thee!
Thanks for hope in the tomorrow, thanks through all eternity!

Psalm 40:5
Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders which Thou hast done,
And Thy thoughts toward us;
There is none to compare with Thee;
If I would declare and speak of them,
They would be too numerous to count.


Father, God of every good and perfect gift, I thank You. Thank you that You don’t give me what I deserve, You give me all of Your riches in Christ Jesus. I am thankful for my family (and that new grandson “in the oven”!), for my dear friends, for my church which challenges me and for opportunities to serve. I pray for each woman reading these words…may she see her life in terms of Your blessings, no matter what her situation! Give us all grateful hearts. Amen

1 comment:

suedonaldson said...

I love that phrase: May we see our lives in terms of our blessings!
thanks, peggy. right now my brother steve is playing hymns on his guitar in the front room - most are in bed (except for he and I - we must be related) - and it's a blessing, believe me. thank you, Lord, for steve and music and festivals of thanksgiving that bring us together. amen.11:23pm - (may I get up in time to put that 20 pounder in the oven. . .)