Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Extrordinary Power

by Sue Donaldson

David got it right when he prayed:
“Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.” (Psalm 141:3)

I’ll never forget the morning I told my husband, Mark, that God had shown me that verse. He responded with: “You may want to pray for a whole army!” (very funny, honey. . .)

Our words can be used for good or evil. I need an army to keep my mouth closed sometimes. How about you?

I loved how Jean Shaw prayed:

“Father, take away my pride, which makes me want to appear right in every situation. Help me to appreciate other points of view. And, Father, in matters of little importance, give me the extraordinary power to say nothing.” (from the book Second Cup of Coffee)

Which strikes you most? That you are too proud to see another point of view? That you HAVE to appear right (especially when you know you are?) That often things are “of little importance,” but you still need to tout your opinion?

My favorite phrase is: “. . . give me the extraordinary power to say nothing.” For some it takes an army, and that’s extraordinary.

Have a great day and look out for the guard at your door – God sent him and he’s got your best interests in mind.

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

God must be teaching both of us the same thing! I was just reading that verse yesterday and picturing one of those solum and stern Buckingham Palace guards guarding my lips, I hadn't thought to picture the National Guard standing watch over my lips!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue - Trying to read Proverbs everyday. Monday I read Proverbs 10 and v 19 reads 'When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise.'. I'd love to be wise - even for 5 minutes I'd love it. Thank you for always being so real. I love the sojourner's journal. I love you. Megan Boragine.