Friday, November 14, 2008

Lead by Example

by Kate Hasson


Recently Suzannah has taken to “reading” her bible. She has been taking it everywhere she goes, grocery stores, car rides, park, church, to the mailbox and back, at bedtime, and story time... everywhere. She cuddled up onto her seat the other day and started to “read” her bible and then asked, “Hey Mom, do I look like a mommy?” She likes to read it aloud to Charlotte by using all the Christian dialogue she’s picked up and also by reciting a few bible verses.

She and Charlotte love to pray when they playfully imagine being mother and daughter. Suzannah enjoys teaching her baby dolls why they are to love God, be obedient to parents, be kind and helpful, etc.

As I have been watching this pattern emerge from my children my heart has begun to ache. I feel so inadequate and undisciplined. I am constantly amazed to see how much the girls pick up from me. I’ll even see things repeated from times that I thought they didn’t really care, or weren’t really watching or listening. I have become quite more conscientious about my actions and how they will point to the Savior as of late. But what about all the times when they see me in a foul mood, or whiney, or being lazy, or saying something I shouldn’t? Yes, unfortunately they imitate those actions as well. But here is where I get to have a second chance. By God’s grace, I want my heart to be so soft and humble that when I mess up, I will be sure to apologize to God and my girls. Unfortunately I am a sinful mother surrounded by eager minds and it is inevitable that they will see my hypocrisy. I just pray that God will wisen their hearts unto salvation, that the example I lead in Bible reading and prayer time would speak louder than my selfish attitudes, and that through me they would see a perfect and merciful God who loves and has redeemed a helpless sinner.

No comments: