Friday, November 7, 2008

Pray

by Cindy Frauenheim

" The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well (emphasis mine) so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to live. "
1 Timothy 2: 1-3 in The Message

I am an avid listener to Janet Parshall on 890 AM. I knew that after the election I could count on her to give encouragement and biblical counsel for all believers in this age when we see such polarization in our culture (I highly recommend her show). What I have taken away from her these past couple of days is an exhortation to pray daily for our new president-elect. Whether or not we voted for him, he is in such a position of prominence and power, and will face huge challenges – perhaps bigger than we might imagine. I cannot say that I have prayed regularly for our current president, except sporadically, and that is not to my credit. Wouldn’t it be awesome if Christians in this country resolved to be diligent in prayer for our commander-in-chief on a daily basis? Perhaps God has chosen this turn of events to stir his people to seek him more passionately?

As Debbi noted on Wednesday, God is all sovereign, and that gives me great peace. I am concerned for our country, but not fearful. I am excited about how God may use his people in the years just ahead. He has his perfect plan, and it will not be thwarted, yet mysteriously he can and he does use the prayers of his children in the process. God can even change the heart of a leader. He has done this many times in history, and will again if he so chooses. Let’s pray that our leaders, legislators, and judges will humble themselves before the one, true God, and seek to honor him.

"The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will."
Proverbs 21:1 ESV

Father, help me to pray as I’ve never prayed before for the leadership of this country. Give me eyes to see you at work. Give me a compassionate heart, perseverance, and the courage that comes only from total reliance on you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is it about our new president elect's heart that is in need of change? I've heard this so much over the last few days of my christian friends, yet I do not understand fully what they mean. Just curious.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,
Thanks for your question. After listening to Mr. Obama over the course of the many months leading up to the election, as well as learning how he has voted in the past, it has become clear that he stands opposed to at least two issues dear to our Father's heart. The two issues are the sanctity of life, and marriage. I find that very troubling, especially given the potential supreme court appointments he might make in the future. So that is why I pray for a change of heart for him, and for many others in leadership. I hope that helps explain what I meant.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much.