Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Desert Place

by Debbi Weeks

Psalm 69:2, 3, 5 and 29
I have sunk in deep mire, and there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and a flood overflows me. I am weary with my crying; my throat is parched; my eyes fail while I wait for my God. O God, it is You who knows my folly, and my wrongs are not hidden from You. But I am afflicted and in pain; May Your salvation, O God, set me securely on high.”

I’m wiped. It’s been a hard week. I’m physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually spent. Physically, I’ve been exhausted and in pain. Emotionally, I’ve been discouraged and just plain sad. Mentally, I’ve had much to think about and have felt pulled in many different directions. Spiritually, I’ve been struggling with some of what God is taking me through.

Things haven’t changed much. Today I’m pretty much in the same boat as I’ve been this past week. Still, I see that God is ministering to me - by the tears of a dear friend, by the prayers of my sisters in Christ, by the responsive reading of Psalm 69 in our Sunday Worship service and by the words of the song, “Blessed be Your Name” that we sang.

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name


These are the words that really spoke to my heart. I feel as though I am in that desert place and I am trusting God to take me through it – blessed be His name. I have a choice in every situation, and yes, I choose the attitude - blessed be His name. It’s my hope that when you find yourself in a similar place, you, too, will see God ministering to you and that you will remember and choose – blessed be His name.

Father God I praise You for having a plan for my life, even in the desert place.
I confess I get discouraged and it takes me a while to trust You when I am.
Thank You that You don’t get fed up with me. Thank You that You go through the desert with me.
May Your salvation, O God, set me securely on high
In Christ’s Name, Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Know that I am praying for you, too. Faith and trust are action words, and even when we don't "feel" like God is near, we know He always is through faith and trust. May that comfort you today.

Susan Bowen said...

Hi Debbi - much love coming to you from Calgary from me!

I've spent some time in the desert too, and I know that it is not a place we ever choose to be. Here are some things I remember learning from the desert:

1. I don't try to "snap out of it." Doesn't work, and just makes me more frustrated with being stuck there. God already knows the way out and He will work to complete it at the right time. There's no magic formula for "learning what I'm supposed to learn" that earns me a free pass.

2. God's plan is complicated, unfathomable and deep. It's a good plan. I just might not like it.

3. It's still possible to enjoy those little flickers of light even though things are dark.

4. Deserts look better from the other side.

My most recent desert taught me that I am not defined by what I do, but by who I am in Christ. Not sure if that helps you, but it means a lot to me.

Love you tons - miss you.
Longing for Heaven,
Susan

Bonnie said...

Hi Debbi, Loved your words because I can completely relate to them. In my O.T. study of the Pentateuch, I have been moved by watching the Israelites in their wanderings. I'm learning to "read between the lines" in places that have allowed me to see that we, as people, will all have our deserts and valleys to go through. That fire that purify's us, that iron that sharpens iron, those things that bring us to a closer view of what Jesus went through for us during His walk on this earth. Being "others" centered is our only release from the hold that can "so easily beset us," isn't it? Thank you for sharing and for the encouragement to reach out in faith for that everlasting "hand-up" as Jesus gave Peter on the water. Praying for you.