Thursday, January 15, 2009

Borrowed Language

by Rebecca Irwin

I just returned from a fabulous trip to New York with my mom and dad in which I was completely spoiled. Each day was so full, I could write chapters on my observations and amazement. However, with jet lag and little time to process, I wish to share a prayer with you today from the Sunday service we attended. The worship we experienced at Redeemer Presbyterian Church was without a doubt, one of the highlights. My mom and I talked many times about the sermon we heard that day by Dr. Timothy Keller. Entitled Paradise in Crisis it was such a foundational message, I want to hear it again because I could not write fast enough to make notes of all he fed us. If you wish to hear it, you can find it here :(Redeemer Presbyterian Church - Sermons).

I have found quite recently, that I love to borrow language for my prayers. I find my mind gets stuck in mundane repetition of "please do this" and "watch over that person Father" and "help me here" if I do not. I am trying to retrain my mind in prayer. I resonated with many words and phrases in the prayer that follows. And, I loved the purpose stated in the words "created to reflect your beauty". May it help you speak your heart to our Father as well.

Prayer of Confession

Our gracious Father, you sent your Son to die and rise to new life in order that death might be brought to an end and that we too might live a new life. Yet foolishly, we have chosen death over life. In our thoughts, words and deeds we have rebelled against you and your intentions for us. In so doing, we have broken our fellowship with you whose love is better than life and whom to know is life itself. In so doing, we have hurt others, sometimes unintentionally and sometimes deliberately, and have diminished their lives. In so doing, we have damaged ourselves who have been created to reflect your beauty.

Father, forgive us our sin for Jesus' sake. And grant that your resurrection power might course through our entire being so that we walk in the ways of love and justice to the glory of your holy name. Amen.






No comments: