Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Salt and Light

by Debbi Weeks

Matthew 5:11-16 (The Message)

“. . . count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble. Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage. Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.


I have been so convicted by this passage; that I’m hiding my light under a bucket. I have unintentionally become a monk surrounded by my Christian bubble. I have a Christian family and Christian friends. I work at the church for goodness sake! What a blessing and yet, it makes me useless in being salt and light. Other than a few moments with the grocery clerk each week as I check out, I have basically no contact with non-believers and definitely no substantial relationships where I could really make an impact. “Let me tell you why you are here,” – I’m not being what I’m called to be.


It used to be easy when my kids were small and in the public school. We would have their playmates over and I would get to know their moms – in those relationships, I was salt and light. Now I need to make more of an effort. I need to be more intentional. I need to get out and meet non-believers. Do you have any suggestions for an old mom who feels like her plate is full, has a busy schedule, has enough friends (to be a good friend to), but really needs to interact with non-believers on a deep level? It sounds like a silly question, but where do you even meet non-Christians? I want to be who I’m supposed to be. I want to be doing what I am supposed to be doing. I want to live to make an impact on the world around me. But I need help to “keep open house.”

How’s your light shining? Are you up on a hill for the world to see? Please pray with me and for me that I would build relationships with non-believers where I can shine my light and have an impact. I am open to any advice/help/suggestions you might have for me.


Soon I think I’ll share my thoughts on salt losing its saltiness!


Father God, thank You that You are sovereign and that You allow us to be a part of Your plan.

Please forgive me for moving into my comfort zone so much that I no longer can even impact those who need you.

Thank You that Your Word has convicted me and that these women will be praying with me.

Please allow me to meet and get involved in the lives of people where I can be light in their lives.



1 comment:

Mama Mote said...

You sound like me, Debbi. I've thought the same thing, especially when someone in the office shares about being able to speak about God to a neighbor or a friend. One thing I was thinking of doing once I get situated again (and why do I wait till then...shouldn't I do it now anyway?) is getting involved in some sort of "Cause" - the food bank, Aids network or something where I would most likely meet non-Christians. Just haven't figured out which and when I have the time. I'll check back and see what people have suggested or see what you come up with. But we are privileged to work where we work.