Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Friend and God's Word

by Debbi Weeks

Years ago I was the mother of a toddler and for a period of time my husband, Matt, was working the night shift. I couldn’t get to sleep and I didn’t sleep well. Endless worries and fears of all that could happen without him there by my side filled my dark nights. Overcome by the lack of sleep and through tears, I shared with my small group at Bible Study and asked them to please pray for me.


One dear, sweet sister, whose husband has always (or as long as I’ve known her) worked the night shift did something more. Robbin Mote (or Mama Mote as she’s referred to in blogland) wrote out a couple of scripture verses that had ministered to her and gave them to me. I still have the 3” x 5” card she gave me. Robbin told me that she kept them by her bed and whenever she was afraid at night she would read them to herself to remind her of God’s care and protection over her. These are the verses she shared with me:


Psalm 4:8, “In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for Thou alone, O Lord, dost make me to dwell in safety.


Proverbs 3:24-26, “When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden fear, nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught.


Never before nor since have I experienced the power of God through His Word work so quickly in my life. The first night I read those verses, I slept like a teenager (I know the expression is “baby,” but in my experience babies just don’t sleep that well and teenagers do! ). I have kept that verse card in my nightstand all these many years, but I have never needed to reference it again because I was not afraid any longer.


I praise God for His sure and complete work in my life in this area of trusting Him when I go to sleep alone. And, I thank Robbin for her help in directing me to God’s Word for my troubles. Robbin, you’re a true friend to comfort me with His Word, may you lie down and sleep in peace!


Father God, thank You that Your Word is truth and that You are faithful to it.

Please forgive me for being afraid when I should be trusting You.

Thank You for Robbin and her sharing Your Word with me and ministering to my deepest need – to trust You.

Lord I would ask that we would all experience Your Word as it is meant to be – for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16) and may we all in peace lie down and sleep.





1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Debbi, This reminds me of the old hymn.."Sing them over again to me, wonderful words of life. Let them more of their beauty see, wonderful words of life. Word of life & beauty, teach me faith & duty; Beautiful words, wonderful words. Wonderful words of life." God's Word is alive and meets us where we are. Thank you for your sweet reminder.