Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Do It With All Your Might

by Sue Donaldson

Jean told me something the other day (something that only struck me later as profound): “Maybe what you are looking for is already in front of you.”


Was I in the forest still looking for the trees? (And, bumping my head on the branches while praying for the next orchard? Probably – and I have the bruises to show for it. . .)


Solomon (wisely) spoke to that issue in Ecclesiastes 9:10 ~ Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. . .”


I like that. As women, we have much that our hands need to do – it’s right there in front of us. We might be looking for something more or something else – but God reminds us—take a look at what this day holds, and go for it (with His strength, of course.)


I don’t just mean laundry, although that’s part of it. I like to think there is more than laundry to my day. But, the fact that we belong to God makes even the simplest task, meaningful. He asks me to do everything for His glory – including eating and drinking and washing and teaching. Reading and playing, working and sleeping – it’s all for Him. And, I want to do it with all my might, for Him.


Today I have a bedroom to clean, dishes to wash, and waffles to make. Today I have a camper to welcome home (and, her laundry to do), two Korean gals to serve (both asleep at present), a husband to bless, a daughter to send money to (of course), and 11 college girls to lead in Growth Group. These are the trees God has granted just for today’s forest. And I want to do all He gives (plus, any surprises I don’t know about yet) with all my might for all His sake.


What is your hand finding to do today? If it looks a little empty, come on over and help me fold laundry. I’ll keep it on the couch until you do – how do you like your coffee?


Father God,

I love you so much. Thanks for giving me great things to do for You every day – and the hands to do them. You make life rich. May I do all for You and with all my might. It’s a waste, otherwise. Amen.



No comments: