Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Great Stage

by Sue Donaldson

Suzanne’s a single mom. Her adult daughter moved to Texas to get a job, but all her furniture was still here. A couple weeks ago, Suzanne was telling our friend Peter at church that she needed to figure out how to get everything to Austin, and he piped up, “I used to live in Austin - I’ll drive it for you - and, I have business there, so my company can fly me home!” Wow!


I said, “Didn’t that just make you cry?!” She said, “Well, yes–this is the first time I’ve talked about it without crying!” God is good. Peter heard the need and acted on it. All he said was, “Let me check with my wife (always a good thing!)-- but I think it’s a ‘go’.”


He’s already back and I talked with him briefly yesterday at church. He met Heather for the first time when he drove up with all her earthly goods. Wow – what a great guy! His only comment to me was: “Life is short, you have to act where and when you can. When I was young, I used to want to change the world. Now, I realize, I can just change one life at a time.”


What a great outlook. I think Peter is changing the world, one U-Haul at a time.


We all hear of needs – we get phone calls asking for money, we hear of accidents and disasters on the news and in the paper. How do we know when and how and where to act?


I don’t know. I do know that God wants to meet needs and that He loves to share His joy by using us. Reminds me to keep my ears open to God’s prompting.


What’s great is that God often tailor-makes another’s need just for your gift – so when you hear the need, your heart leaps at the chance to fill it. It’s easy, even – like the EASY button at Staples. Other times, our heartstrings may be tugged, and it’s a bigger effort to meet that need – but, if you’re the one, God’s grace will guide and lift you through. It’s a fact--and a joy. (Did I tell you about the time Ceslie’s neighbor’s daughter had to be up at Stanford for extended medical treatment, so Ces took her two little boys to and from school every day, sang songs in the car, and helped them with snacks and homework after school for about 6 weeks? No? I didn’t? Well, that was quite the commitment – all Ces said was, “You know, it was kind of fun. . .”)


James is practical and calls us to a great stage that makes God’s love visible: Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, ‘Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?James 2:15-16.


Not much good. Talk to Peter next week. He heard the need, and got inside a big truck and drove hundreds of miles. Bless you, brother – the Kelley’s are praising the Lord!


Lord God,

You could just fix everyone’s problems without my help – but, if You want me in on the solution for someone today, please help me pay attention and act. (I really can’t drive a U-Haul to Texas – so thanks for that need already being met. . .) Amen.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT was encouraging and convicting all at the same time! Thanks, Sue!

Anonymous said...

What an example of being in the "right" place at the "right" time....God is faithful to put us there, isn't He? Thanks for challenging me to be aware of those "right" times and act on them.