Friday, January 9, 2009

Home

by Kate Hasson

Our home is not able to be lived in right now due to a fire we had in the dining room last month. Unfortunately, although its been almost a month since it happened, we still haven’t heard of what will be covered by our insurance, so nothing has been cleaned yet and its looking like we may not even be moved into our house again until late February / early March.


So God has been stretching me and challenging me. I’ve enjoyed the time I’ve been able to spend just thinking about my life and how I view my relationship with the Lord. I’ve always said and really believed that nothing came close to my desire for Christ. I’ve always said that my security comes from Christ alone and that I would throw everything away easily for the sake of knowing Him better. But that was the “me who had never lost anything” talking. I’ve been feeling a bit lost since I’ve lived in three different houses in the past 4 weeks and I’ve come to realize that much of my “subconscious” security comes from having my own home, my own routine, and basically my own life.


I was quite surprised when I realized I have been the very person that I’ve never wanted to be. How ashamed I am, and how dependant on the Lord to change me! I came across this verse today while reading the book of Job (which I thought would be an appropriate one to go through at the moment):

22:23-25 – “If you return to the Almighty, you will be restored; If you remove unrighteousness far from your tent, And place your gold in the dust, And the gold of Ophir among the stones of the brooks, Then the Almighty will be your gold, And choice silver to you.”


I want to place my gold: my home, my comforting and routine securities, in the dirt and dust, leave them behind, and I want the Almighty to be my True Gold.

Its amazing how a trial that is difficult can be so wonderful at the same time. God is good and all that He does is GOOD. “Blessed be the name of the LordJob 1:21.




2 comments:

Mama Mote said...

I'm with you, Kate. I am anxious to get in my own home, too, but the funny thing is, I don't have children to tote around with me. I just want to be in my own place with my own things. Thanks for your "realization".

Bonnie said...

Dear Kate, I know you realize how many families are going "through the fire" these days. Your words on this blog are so timely and I loved the scripture from Job 22. It's only when we understand that perhaps UNDERSTANDING GOD'S WAYS isn't necessarily our main purpose. Instead, His plan is to prepare us for eternity with Him. We won't be perfect until then, right? So, this is why James 1:2-17 tells us "to count IT all joy..." I love your heart, Kate. You have that same gentle spirit as your dear Dad & Mom, and I know that you are going to come out of this challenge brighter than you were before it.