Monday, January 26, 2009

We Live for Comments!

by Debbi Weeks

Okay, so that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but they really do encourage us. If there really are as many readers of the Sojourner’s Journal out there as we think (and we know that there are – there’s a counter for goodness sake! ), then we should be getting scads and scads of comments each and every day. Like what was up with only one comment to my January 14th post asking you how you meet non-believing women?! Are we all in the same boat – I don’t think so!


So, my encouragement to you today is to encourage us, the writers of the SJ, by leaving a simple comment now and again (even a few words, ladies – throw the dog a bone!). Let us know that you’re reading and if you’re being challenged and/or blessed. Or maybe we don’t see eye to eye on things – that’s okay too, but at least let us know that we caused you to think. Are we drawing you close to our Lord and Savior? Then let us hear it!


Hebrews 10:24 and 25

And let us consider and give attentive, continuous care to watching over one another, studying how we may stir up (stimulate and incite) to love and helpful deeds and noble activities, Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [as believers], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing (warning, urging, and encouraging) one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching. (Amplified Bible)

Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.” (NLT)


Oh, and the need for encouragement isn’t just limited to the writers of this blog – we could all use a good dose! But, us contributors do love those comments!


Father, God I praise You for Your care, concern and faithfulness to us. I praise You that You are unchanging.

I confess that I, too, neglect to encourage those You have put in my circle of influence. Please forgive me and remind me to encourage others.

Thank You that we have been able to use this medium of an internet blog to input Your Word and Your ways in women’s lives.

Please show us how we can respond and bring encouragement to one another.





5 comments:

Julie Theule said...

Hi Debbie,

Any chance of a ladies evening Bible study or ladies only growth group?? Chad and I have never been able to participate in a growth group with our busy, large family and I do homeschool on Thursdays during POW. Just an idea!!

Julie Theule

Anonymous said...

Debbi, I am SURROUNDED by non-believers, both men and women, every day of my working life (M-F 8:00-5:00, so I don't have the need to "search" for them. (I would LOVE to work around only believers, even if just one day a week! Do you realize how fortunate you are?) I need encouragement on "keeping the faith", being "salt and light", and not being overwhelmed with "the world" around me, on a daily basis. Be careful what you pray for!!! :)

hugmom said...

Julie-
I should just pass this answer off to Pastor Tim – he expresses the church’s leadership decisions about this so much more eloquently than I do, but you asked me, so here goes:
The church leadership is committed to the idea of growth groups and really doesn’t want to put so much “out there” (so to speak) that people have to pick and choose – or try to do too much. We would loose our unity and focus. Within the growth group structure the preference is for couples to attend together. We realize for some families with
children this makes attendance difficult and we continue to wrestle with solutions. There are growth groups where children are welcome. The option for an all-women’s growth group is a definite possibility. If we got a woman (or women) trained for growth group leadership it would be a “go!”
There is one Women’s evening Bible study that was grandfathered in. It meets on Tuesday evenings at Suzanne Kelley’s home and they are doing
the same Beth Moore study that is being done on Thursday mornings.
I hope this helps you understand our thinking and decisions. We have considered this in the
Women’s Ministry board for quite some time, and have chosen to submit to the overall church’s best interest in not over-loading women’s schedules.
Thanks so much for the comment/question! :)
Forever in Christ,
Debbi

hugmom said...

Anonymous-
Isn't amazing how God puts us each in different spheres of influence! I do recognize what a blessing it is to be around believers everyday - but it lacks something as well. Just as you are overwhelmed with the world around you, I feel like I'm ineffectual. I'm praying that God would put me in the path of TWO (see I am careful about what I pray for! :)) non-believing women this year that I can have an impact on.
Thanks for your comment. It's good for me to know there are women out there who are being seen. I'll pray for you to be encouraged.
Forever in Christ,
Debbi

Women of Grace... said...

To all of our blog readers...We are so pleased you have joined us in this journey of faith. The Lord has placed each one of us into different physical areas of the globe as well as different churches locally and abroad.

This blog consists of a number of different contributors. Some live locally and others do not. Debbi, one of our contributors and the Women's Ministry Director of Grace Church, SLO, responded in these comments to a direct question from one of her congregation members.

As the blog administrator, I was somewhat hesitant to publish it as the thoughts expressed do not necessarily represent the opinions of the blog or those contributing.

The question posed is important and Debbi felt the best place to respond was in the comment field. If you attend Grace SLO and have further questions in regards to her comment, I ask you to respond directly to her at dweeks@graceslo.org.

Thank you - missy