Tuesday, March 10, 2009

All I Need

by Sue Donaldson

A preschool class was memorizing the 23rd Psalm. Little Bobby couldn’t quite get it down. When his turn came to perform, he walked confidently up to the microphone and began:


“The Lord is my Shepherd…that’s all I really need to know.”

Smart kid.


Sheep completely depend on their shepherd – for food, protection, guidance. How come we don’t?


Two reasons:


We think we can do it.

We think God can’t do it.


One way or the other, we forget we have a Shepherd. So we take on the world without asking for help. We worry, we stew, we lash out, we put our heads down and wonder how we – or someone we love - will survive.


Already today I’ve lost my cell phone, the room where I’m working all day is absolutely freezing, and, the internet won’t connect (how will I survive??) I remembered Bobby’s line and reminded myself—“You have a Shepherd, Sue – depend, depend, depend – relax, relax, relax (repetition seems to help…) – ask, ask, ask. (Bleat, bleat, bleat…)


Abby found my phone in the truck. An angel came to the classroom (actually, he was an angel dressed like a school janitor. Who called him? I didn’t – maybe he heard the bleating.) – and fixed the heat –it’s humming nicely and my bones no longer ache. The internet won’t work, but I don’t need it to at this very moment, so I’m fine – sitting cozy and eating grass contentedly, like a good sheep.


The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures…surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life…” (Psalm 23)


That’s all I really need to know.


Dear Shepherd,

Thank You that You are all I need. I need to remember that all day. And, tomorrow as well.

Love,

Your forgetful sheep



1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Love this...Love you!