Friday, March 27, 2009

My Eyes Are On You

by Cindy Frauenheim

Sometimes I am put in a situation in which I really don’t what do to. I am there right now in one area of my life. I am out of ideas, out of resources, confused as to what God is doing (or not doing!), and just crying out for the Lord to provide and to lead. So when I heard the words of scripture recently that said, “…we do not know what to do…” I knew I needed to open up that portion of the Word and see what He had to say. The context is that several armies are descending upon Jehoshaphat to make war on Judah and drive them from their land.


…See how they are repaying us by coming to drive us out of the possession you gave us as an inheritance. O our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." 2 Chronicles 20:11-12


Jehoshaphat was up against an obstacle that seemed insurmountable and he was out of ideas. I like how direct he was with God: We don’t know what to do! He admitted that this situation was totally beyond him, but he didn’t lose hope. He put his eyes on God.


If I search the passage a bit more I see just previous to this:


"Alarmed, Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the LORD, and he proclaimed a fast for all Judah." 2 Chronicles 20:3


This was clearly a pattern for Jehoshaphat. First, he had resolved to inquire of the Lord, and then he put on eyes on him. Then the Lord spoke to Jehoshaphat through Jahaziel:


…This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's… You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you."

2 Chronicles 20:15, 17


Wow! What an amazing thing to hear from the Lord. Jehoshaphat and the people obeyed and the Lord gave them great victory. That must have taken huge faith to stand firm and face those armies! Oh how I need that kind of faith!


Here are some things Jehoshaphat did that I want to follow:

1) Have resolve to inquire of God – persevere in prayer.

2) Cry out to God in honesty.

3) Put your eyes on God – don’t look elsewhere for help.

4) Do not be afraid or discouraged; know that the battle is God’s.

5) Stand firm in what you do know that God had told you to do.

6) Face your battle knowing that God is with you.


I know that this is not a “formula” for easy success in life’s trials. God determines when and how the victories in our life will occur. But he is working out complete and final victory for his people. It may not always appear that way to us – it may appear impossible at times. I’m sure the cross looked impossible.


God I don’t know what to do in this situation I find myself. You know that I and many others have brought it to you in prayer over and over again. I am looking to you and to you alone for help. Help me in my fear and discouragement. Help me to stand firm in what you have asked me to do, and thank you that you are with me. Give me eyes to see your victory when it happens.





No comments: