Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Most Important Thing

by Sue Donaldson

One time, across a lunch table at Apple Farm, I said to a dear friend who didn’t know Christ:


“I think the most important thing about being a Christian is . . .forgiveness.”


Somehow that seemed inadequate as I was trying to share the Gospel. I had hesitated because how can you say what is most important? How often do you get the opportunity to begin -or end- that sentence with someone?


But I’ll never forget her response:


“That is no small thing, Sue.”


And she was right. Forgiveness is no small thing.


Perhaps you might fill something else in the blank: “The most important thing about being a Christian is: _______________.”


And whatever you would say would also be right -- but somehow that word said it all that day for me and my friend.


Psalm 32 is the consummate word on the blessedness of forgiveness—it describes it like no other.


I heard somewhere long ago that Psalm 32 is to be read after Psalm. 51. It’s the sequel that shouldn’t be missed – it’s the sequel that’s better than the first. In fact, if you don’t mind writing in your Bible, turn to Psalm 51 and write in the margin: “Now, read Psalm 32.” In fact, I would venture to say, never read the first without giving yourself enough time to read the second.


David wrote Psalm 51 when he was in the depths of despair—as well he should have been, we might add. His heart was broken, his spirit was crushed with the weight of his guilt, and that is right where God wanted him.


And that is right where God wants us-- every time we veer a little to the right or the left off the path of holiness He’s set for us. Once we get that straight, we can begin to experience the joy of Psalm 32.

Easter is all about forgiveness. Let’s don’t forget the most important thing. God didn’t. And He keeps on forgiving. All because of Easter.


Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.” (Psalm 32:1)


Dear Father God,

Thank You for Your great sacrifice so I could be forgiven. May I forgive others the same way you have forgiven me.

I love You, Sue


PS And thanks for that great sequel!




No comments: