Thursday, March 12, 2009

Three Minutes

by Rebecca Irwin



I had just replied to an evite for a friend's birthday and on the next screen i was literally hooked by an advertisement. I clicked! Taken to a new window, I encountered this :






Brilliant! I was caught. I immediately felt the minutes ticking and, in obedience, I hide my internet browser, sent one last email and put my computer to bed. Ni-night.


The creator of the site had an agenda of course - it was an ad campaign after all. But the message "Make Face Time" TM was a message I have been impacted by this week. I was asked this Sunday, "Are you just talking about the business of life, or are you having 'conversations of consequence'? If you really want to know someone, ask them : What is hard for you? What are your joys? or What do you hope for?". What a question of awakening - how often do I pursue the deeper issues? How often to I seek to see the heart of someone I care for? How much time is sucked into "screen time" instead of seizing opportunities for "face time"?



My three minutes are just about up. Time to take in the message and live out the challenge. Today, make a date, or a time, to connect with another human being that has significance in your life. I have taken the challenge and made a dinner date for this evening. I am confident you can "make face time" too!


Father God, the most significant "face time" I can make time for is with you. Help me not to squeeze you out of my day. Guide me in my conversation with you. Give me the peace of mind to listen to you as well - not do all the talking. Show me who I should pursue to reconnect with. Help me build true community. Challenge me to have conversations of consequence. Amen and Amen.




p.s. if you're curious enough to visit the site yourself, click here : http://www.dentyne.com/






1 comment:

suedonaldson said...

Excellent! connecting is the best!