Monday, March 2, 2009

Missions

by Peggy Brown

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”

Jim Elliott (Missionary Martyr)

This week is our church’s annual Missions Conference. This has me thinking about what I am doing and what I should be doing about Missions. God has not called me, at this point, to GO to a mission field. He has called me to PARTICIPATE. Every believer is called to participate in missions.


Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.” Mark 16:15

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8


If I am called to missions, then I must continually reexamine my participation in the spread of the gospel. I must be sure that I am doing what He has called me to do. That may change from one season of my life to the next. At every season of my life however, I believe I am called to sacrifice for the gospel.


Sacrifice…what an uncomfortable word to many of us. Here in our comfortable lives, where all around us we are “called” to more; earn more, buy more, accumulate more, eat more, vacation more. We are seldom challenged to sacrifice more. I believe that we have much to learn by considering Jim Elliott’s conviction. What do I have here that is of more value than one soul? Money? Reputation? Comfort? Car? Lifestyle? My life?


I had the privelege of attending a “pre-conference” dessert with a group of missionaries who’ve come from around the world to join us for the week. What a challenge, encouragement and blessing! What I observed were people who have “given up” much for the sake of spreading the gospel. They have dedicated their lives to what cannot be lost.


I met one couple who is here in the states so that she can have treatment for her cancer. She acknowledged that she was taken by surprise by cancer “but”, she said, “God wasn’t!” They shared with me that while they don’t know what God has for the future, they are hoping to get back to their field! That is their heart’s desire.


One missionary shared with Wayne and me about the miraculous spread of the gospel in countries that he could not even name because of the sensitivity of the situations. He spoke of the inherent dangers there, but also of the overwhelming joy in seeing God at work in places that people are tempted to think it “could never happen”! He also told us of one missionary that was sent out to one of these places who might have to be brought home because his financial support is being cut back! If he comes home, the entire ministry there will shut down!


One missionary couple has to take a leave from their stateside mission assignment to travel and raise more support for their ministry because the people who once supported them have had to cut back on their giving for one reason or another. Because they will not be doing their jobs, many missionaries around the world will be affected.


I am convicted!! I am convicted that I do not give more of my time, which I “cannot keep”. I am challenged to give more of my time to prayer for our missionaries. They are out on the front lines where medical care may not be good, or even available. I have time to write them notes of encouragement…they get lonely, they are attacked by Satan who tries to convince them that the are alone in their work.


I am convicted that I do not give as much money as I can to mission support. Did you know that Von’s just had a sale on Snapple? Yep, just $1 a bottle. I bought 6 bottles! You know, that was $6 that I “cannot keep”. What better use could a missionary put it to? What could my $6 added to YOUR $6 do for the advancement of God’s kingdom around the world? I don’t pay enough attention to my spending! If I can increase my giving by just a bit, then maybe I can help take up the slack of someone who has to cut theirs.


Now I know that our economy is in a tailspin and that there are those who have lost jobs. I know that not everyone can do more. My purpose is not to make anyone feel guilty (unless God is using my words for exactly that)! My purpose is to challeng my own heart and priorities. My hope is that through my thoughts, God might be challenging YOUR thoughts.


Am I doing all that God is calling me to do for the gospel? I pray that you will consider that question with me!


Gracious God, You gave me everything I have. It all belongs to you. Please keep before me that giving what I cannot keep to gain what I cannot lose is not foolish in Your economy. Open my hands and loose my money, my prayers and my time to advance Your kingdom both here and around the world. Amen





No comments: