Friday, March 20, 2009

Take My Voice

by Kate Hasson

A song that has been running through my mind the past couple of weeks is one that I’m sure most of us are familiar with, “Take My Life and Let It Be”. Here are the lyrics:


Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love.


Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee;
Take my voice and let me sing,
Always, only for my King.


Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee;
Take my silver and my gold,
Not a mite would I withhold.


Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store;
Take myself and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.


But oddly enough, this time a different part of the hymn has captured my heart and mind. Verse 2, second half: “Take my voice and let me sing, always, only for my King”. Now I had always pictured this in my minds eye as me saying that I want to always be singing songs of His praise and His glory. But this time a new picture came to my mind. I want my voice to constantly sound like a beautiful song to my King; with my regular voice; with everyday talking with my children and husband.


You see I like to express myself when I speak - doesn’t everyone? I use different tones when I feel different feelings. I don’t sound monotone when I’m excited, I express it with my face, my gestures and especially my voice. The opposite is true as well, though. When I’m upset or disappointed or concerned I don’t mask that feeling with cheer and peace. I again, express it! My face shows it, my gestures show it, and again, most of all, my voice shows it. Honestly, I don’t believe I yell often. I do at times, and its then I clearly know I’ve let my anger get a hold of me and I’m in sin. But more often than not, I will express my disbelief and disappointment with vocal passion, and even though it’s not loud and mean, it’s demeaning and mean.


Somehow the Lord has brought this to my attention through this song and I have come to realize over the past few weeks how unkind my voice can sound to my girls, and most ashamedly to my husband. Even when I’m aggravated I truly want my heart to change and remember that my voice is to always and only be used as a beautiful song to the ears of my King.


To Him be the glory and honor, in my life and voice, forever and ever. Amen.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your message was exactly what God meant for me today. My words have not been pleasing to my family nor to God lately, and I want them to be. I know that with confession first and foremost,and with petition before a mighty God, he will forgive me, and restore me, and help me in my desire to bring glory to Him through my words. Thanks for being the messenger Kate!