Monday, March 30, 2009

He Is Risen!

by Peggy Brown

Mark 16:6

And he said to them, "Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who has been crucified. He has risen; He is not here; behold, here is the place where they laid Him.” (emphasis mine)


My thoughts about Easter are different this year than in years past. My focus is not just on the Easter story, but also on what that means to me as a believer in the Easter story.


We spent Thursday sitting at the viewing for my sweet Aunt Alma, and then Friday we laid her to rest. As we walked through the cemetery, we walked by the headstone of Lilian Wind. I chuckled at the memory. Mrs. Wind was a woman that my grandparents drove to church each week when I was a child. On the nights when I slept over, I was in the car with them and Mrs. Wind. The thing I remembered most was that she could talk and talk and talk and….well you get it. But I also remember that she loved the Lord with her whole being!


When we arrived at Alma’s grave site, we were seated right next to the headstone of Flavy and Bess DeWitt, my grandparents! I remembered how they loved me and my sister (their only, and might I add most amazing, grandchildren!) But I also remembered how they loved and walked faithfully with their Lord and Savior.


Over the last few days, I have been thinking about what a joy and comfort it is that I KNOW that because Jesus has risen, we too shall rise! Aunt Alma and Grandpa and Grandma DeWitt and yes, Mrs. Wind, are already risen to be with Him. (Now for those theologians out there, I know that their bodies won’t rise till Jesus comes again…) I was comforted by the fact that I know that they are in Heaven, happy, whole and rejoicing.

I AM so comforted to know that I will see them all again, and what a wonderful reunion it will be!


I am looking forward to celebrating Easter this year. I am planning on celebrating Christ’s resurrection with a new and fresh thankfulness for His amazing gift of life to us!


Dear Father, thank You for the sacrifice of the cross. Thank You that Jesus didn’t stay in that tomb! I praise You for the gift of Eternal Life and the promise that it holds for us, your children. We will see You face to face and all will be well. Amen




No comments: