Monday, March 23, 2009

The Nearness of God

***UPDATED***


by Grandma Peggy

Well, I have had quite a week to say the least!! I can hardly believe everything that has happened. Let me bring you up to date on the life and times of the Browns.



We had our immediate life all planned out! Our grandson had passed his due date with no signs of eminent (or non-eminent) arrival and his doctor scheduled him to be induced on Friday, one week past his due date. I had a some stuff ready, my list made and plans for getting the last laundry done and the clothes packed on Thursday for departure on Friday morning.



Sunday night I had started coming down with a cold. Monday I spent on the sofa taking Airborne, using Zycam in my nose, drinking water till my pee ran clear and often, and praying that God would make me well by Friday. Why NOW God?




I’m sure you’re guessing, if you don’t already know, that Jake had different plans. Tuesday morning, our son Ryan called and said “Did you pack your stuff like I suggested?” Sandy had gone into labor! I dragged myself off of the couch, jumped (rather crawled) into the shower and got out of the house in 1 hour and 15 minutes start to finish! That’s got to be some kind of record.



On our drive down, Ryan called to let us know that they were taking Sandy in to do a c-section because Jake was so big. (He arrived on March 17, 2009, 2:52pm 10 lb. 10 oz. (yes, you read that right!) 22 inches!) Long story short, we arrived 3 hours after Jake’s arrival to discover that he was having some lung problems that required him being kept in an incubator in the nursery for observation. After a long night of waiting, we finally went home to bed. I was so disappointed that I could only see my first grandchild through a window and couldn’t get my hands on him… This is frightening Lord!



I did get to hold him the next morning, but I was still sick, so I had to wear a mask every time I held him. It was so amazing to get to hold my child’s child! I kept crying, and those of you who know me know that I don’t do that very often. I was only disappointed that I couldn’t kiss him…that darn mask was so frustrating! Why Lord? Other than the mask thing, everything else was amazing. We were able to visit the little family every day in the hospital, and stay all day with them and the other set of grandparents. You are AWESOME God!



Fast-forward a day to Thursday morning when I received a call that my dear Aunt Alma had slipped into a coma in the nursing home. Why now Lord? Coincidentally (You planned that didn’t you Lord?) my sister and niece were visiting her from Oregon and were in the car on the way to see her when I reached them by phone. They were able to visit her and sit with her for most of the day before leaving to drive home. I kept wondering about God’s timing as I was fielding phone calls from my sister, the nursing home and hospice. What should I do, go up there, stay where I am?????? . Oh Lord, what’s the right choice?



We finally decided that we would go to her on Saturday, knowing that we had already said our goodbyes and that we couldn’t be of any “help” to her should she not live until then. Is that OK Lord? She went home to be with her Heavenly Father on Friday afternoon, with the caring hospice people in attendance. Thank You for her release God!



The baby and his parents came home on Friday afternoon and we all rejoiced and enjoyed holding him snuggling him and just being in awe of what God had done! I highly recommend becoming a grandparent.



My emotions were running all over the place as life just kept “happening” and I was completely out of control. I had to spend most of Saturday on the phone making arrangements for Aunt Alma. I never knew how much there was to arrange. Thankfully, my cold was getting better by then. God is good.



We spent most of the week with Ryan, Sandy and her parents and were able to revel in this new little miracle. We drove home today, and I’m ready for a nap!



Through this time, I have been constantly reminded that God is near. God is sovereign…He knew about the cold, the c-section, the baby’s lung problems, the mask, the coma, the death and the arrangements! He walked through every moment with me, my family and especially Aunt Alma. God provides. He provided Alma’s pastor to minister to me over the phone as he wisely and gently advised me, visited Alma and walked me through the process. God provided my son and daughter-in-love with tender hearts to recognize that “Jake is very good medicine, why don’t you hold him?” after I found out about Alma’s coma. He provided my friend Lisa to pray with me and ask God to “cuddle Peggy as she walks through this time in the same way that she is cuddling Jake” and other friends who were on their knees with me at the touch of my cell phone.



I am here to tell you that God is near! His nearness is very real and very tender. I praise Him again for proving Himself faithful even when my faith is not nearly big enough. I am glad that He is big enough!



Ps. 145:18 “The LORD is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth.”



I thank You God for Your amazing and unfailing love and nearness. Thank You for the gift of new life on earth and the blessing of new life in Heaven. Thank You for letting me glimpse them both this week and see the joy of both! Amen


PS.... As you read my thoughts dear "bloggies" I must ask forgiveness. First, and most importantly, from my husband for neglecting to share his tender and constant involvement in the entire process of the week, and second from you for not giving you the blessing of having insight into how my Godly husband ministers to me so faithfully.


I was so blessed by Wayne's tender heart through the whole week . Before one call ever went out to family and friends for their prayer and support, it was my loving husband who was standing with me. He was my partner in celebration, he was the one to hold me, cry with me, pray with me and for me. He knew just the words to share, the memories of Alma to recall and the loving thoughts of Alma that would bless and encourage me as she left this world.


I know that I have been blessed beyond anything I could ever have imagined to have this tender man by my side for all that our life has brought to us. God has been good to me and I thank Him for Wayne and wanted to make sure that you all could give thanks with me.



1 comment:

suedonaldson said...

You made me cry, Peggy - blessings beyond and above our control! love you!