Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Don't Worry, Trust Christ

by Debbi Weeks

Shortly after learning the news that I was pregnant with my son I was horrified to find out that in the first few days of his development I had been working in our enclosed garage stripping paint with toxic chemicals, clearly labeled NOT to be used while pregnant. I remember taking the can into my OB/GYN’s office in a panic. His wise advice still resounds in my mind as if he told me it this morning. He said, “There’s nothing that can be done about that now. The worst thing you can do for your baby growing inside of you is to worry.”


God gives the same wise advice in Matthew 6:27: “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” And, I would include, which of us can add a moment to our children’s lives by worrying about them? In fact, worrying can actually detract from life – our children’s and ours, as they watch and learn from us. Stress and worry suck the life right out people.


So how do we keep from worrying? We trust. We trust in a sovereign God whose plan cannot be thwarted (check out Job 42:2). He says in Philippians 4:6 and 7: “Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.” (The Message)


I love that – let Christ displace worry at the center of your life!


Father God I praise You for being sovereign and in control. I praise You for being worthy of our trust.

Please forgive me for worrying when I should be trusting and experiencing Your peace.

Thank You for showing me that worry takes away and trusting You gives peace.

Please displace my worry with Christ.

In Christ’s Name, Amen.



No comments: