Friday, July 18, 2008

Don't Waste Your Vacation

by Kate Hasson




Don’t Waste Your Vacation

When I last heard John Piper speak in person his message dealt with how to not waste your life. He went through a whole slew of ways to not waste your life with specifics such as don’t waste your cancer, don’t waste your money, don’t waste your robbery, etc.

As you read this post I will be on vacation, a wonderful trip we take to the same place every year with my husband’s side of the family. It is a fabulous week of relaxation and enjoyment. But as I write this and the time approaches, my mind has been drifting back to the “Don’t waste your...” encouragement from Piper. So now I’m applying it to our vacation. Just because I’m away from home and out of the normal routine, doesn’t mean that I take a vacation from wholeheartedly following Christ. I want my vacation to be filled with extra time in the word and in prayer, time spent speaking of Christ with my family and even with others I may meet along the way, time spent praising and thanking the Lord, out loud and in song, for His glorious creation. Although it is wonderful to take long naps, and play all day in the sun, it is not as Christ exalting, nor fulfilling as being mindful and praise-filled toward my Lord. I don’t want this vacation to pass without my drawing nearer to Christ.

Yes, I do look forward to getting away from it all, but even more I look forward to meeting Him and sitting at His feet in worship. I Don’t Want to Waste My Vacation. Please pray for me.


No comments: