Friday, July 25, 2008

Less Than Perfect

by Kate Hasson

Yesterday I spoke with my brother on the phone and we had a wonderful conversation. He told me about his life in Arizona and what the Lord had been teaching him recently. Then I got to share a bit of what has been on my mind.

I told him how I was feeling incapable of taking on other tasks that are available to me because I already feel filled with what I’m doing now; being a mommy, a wife, trying to get involved with neighbors, leading a Sunday School class for children, baking meals for others, etc.. And on top of all that I told him how I rarely read the bible, don’t pray as well or as often as I should, nor memorize scripture anymore. How can I take on other tasks when I can’t even keep my own personal life at perfection?

Andy had the wonderful answer that was just what my heart needed to hear. Even though I have heard and read this before, it was just what I needed at the moment. He gently reminded me that my life is not a performance; that God’s Son didn’t come to earth to save people who could “keep it together”, but came to love and redeem and use people who were weak, and faulty, and helpless. In fact, He wants to use the helpless for it just goes to show how great and good He truly is. Andy said that it’s refreshing to see someone who doesn’t have their life in order yet still leans on God; it gives encouragement, fellowship, understanding, and peace.

What joy this brought to my heart again. Praise Him for loving a miserable sinner such as myself. I am forever grateful to be His daughter no matter how badly I may mess up. What a kind and compassionate God. He is so good!

Mark 2:17On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."’

Andy – Thanks for the encouragement.

1 comment:

Lou Ann said...

Kate, Thank you so much for your encouragement through your transparency and tenderness towards the things of God. It has been a pleasure to see you blossom into a treasure of the Lord from a little 2 year old who liked her new dress better than crayons! You have taught me much in your writings and ponderings. May the Lord fill your cup to overflowing.
In Chirst Alone, Lou Ann