Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy Anniversary

Happy Anniversary!
by Peggy B.

34 years ago, at this very moment, I was walking down the aisle of the church I grew up on. I was on my father’s arm, heading toward the man I loved!

Yes, today is Wayne and my 34th anniversary, and we are on our way out to dinner to celebrate. We have done many different levels of celebration, from dinner out to 10 days in Ireland on a bike tour. I love our anniversary. It reminds me of how blessed I am to have such a wonderful husband.

What today makes me think of also is choices. By God’s grace, I was blessed to marry my best friend and lifelong love! In any relationship, friendships, marriages, parents, children, there are ups and downs. What I’ve learned over the years is that love is not a feeling! Love is an action. On those rare occasions when I don’t feel loving, and yes maybe I don’t even like the guy very much, God’s command is for me to love him.

I have the choice to be selfish, react in anger or be loving. I can choose to speak hurtful words or soft, kind words, even when we are having a “fight”.

Whatever relationships you are in, the choice, by God’s power, is yours to make. It isn’t always the easy choice, when our flesh wants our own way. I want to encourage you, though, that I have found that as the years go by, it has gotten easier and easier.

Well, we’re off to celebrate, so I’m going to sign off for now. But please remember as you go through your tomorrows, it’s all about choice!

Philip. 4:13

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Lord, thank you for your gift of relationships! Thank you for the wonderful man that you have blessed my life with. May I always strive to choose love! Amen


2 comments:

RefreshMom said...

Awww, happy anniversary! We're only 14 years into it, and most years we celebrated with our Grace Church family at the 4th of July picnic (our anniversary is the 3rd). We missed being with you all this year (our new church has a 4th of July picnic too, so we were kind of "on duty.").

I hope you had a lovely dinner with your love.

Kate said...

hey peggy, i forgot that you and wayne had the same anniversary as travis and me! :) congratulations. hope your day was wonderful!