Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Surgery - God's Timing

by Debbi Weeks


Isaiah 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD."As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Anyone else out there in blogland who is constantly amazed at how God does things so very differently than you would expect? Right now I’m flabbergasted at His timing. My head is spinning – let me tell you why:

In May, during my annual routine mammogram, abnormalities were found in both of my breasts. Follow-up mammograms and ultrasounds could not rule anything out, so I had bi-lateral stereotactic biopsies. The left breast came out with flying colors – no problems. The right breast showed no signs of malignancy, but was determined to have abnormal cells (what are abnormal cells anyway and why do I have so many of them?) and something called “Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia” (ADH). The protocol for which is a lumpectomy. My doctor told me I had to see a surgeon in the next two weeks. The surgeon I wanted was already booking into late September, but God miraculously got me in to see him in just two weeks and 1 day! He told me I’d be scheduled for surgery after my insurance approval. I never asked for even a ballpark estimate of when that would be, so I called on Monday (7/28 – one week after my consultation) and was told there were no surgery orders yet. I assumed (you know there’s a problem lurking with the use of that word now don’t you?!) I would get a call back in the next few days and we would set a date. I was hoping it wouldn’t interfere with the rest of my summer plans or any of the fall activities! Tuesday morning we prayed in staff meeting that I would get a date on the calendar (so I could plan the rest of my life!) and a little later in the morning I got a call from the surgeon’s office telling me my surgery was scheduled for Wednesday (that would be today!) less than 24 hours notice! My head is spinning (oh I already told you that, but it still is)!

So when you’re reading this, please pray for me. Please pray that I would learn to adjust my ways and thoughts to the Lord’s.

Father God, I praise You for being our Creator. I praise You that we are each individually fearfully and wonderfully made. I praise You that Your ways are higher than our ways and Your thoughts are higher than our thoughts.

I confess that I assume you will do things on my timetable and in the way that I expect. Please forgive me for that arrogance.

Thank You that I am having surgery today – the day you ordained. Thank you for the fine surgeon You have gifted.

Please Lord, be glorified in my life today. Please help me in all things (and this in particular) to see that Your ways and thoughts are far greater than mine.




1 comment:

joy said...

debbi, i'm praying for you! love you.