Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Fill My Cup, Lord - Part II

Fill My Cup, Lord - Part II
by Sue Donaldson

Someone said, “Ministry is overflow.”

When our cup is full to the brim with Him, ministry is the overflow.

I thanked Colleen for coming to speak to our ladies. She replied, “Oh, I don’t consider myself a speaker. I’m just so in love with Jesus that I can’t help talking about Him.” Her cup was full. And we got the overflow.

Two things about full cups--

First, we find out what’s inside by what comes out (when it’s bumped.)

It can be an embarrassing awakening. Someone jostles me and out comes Niagara Falls-- but there’s nothing pretty about it. Complaints, whining, “Poor me’s – feel sorry for me, please,” and “Who do you think you are, doing that to me???” My cup is full, but it’s full of me, not Jesus.

If you are not sure what’s in your cup, take note of what spills over next time someone runs into you (intentionally or not.)

Secondly, we don’t need to ask God for a ministry – we just need to ask God to fill our cup on a regular basis. He’ll do the rest. (It’s very fun to watch!)

Hyatt was outside in his front yard when his neighbor happened by. He made the usual polite inquiry, “How are things with you?” Surprisingly, the man replied quite openly: “My baby boy is very sick. We are so worried.” Hyatt asked gently, “Can I pray for you?” The man nodded. Hyatt put his hand on his neighbor’s shoulder and prayed right then and there at the curb.


That’s overflow. God will bring those to us who need to know Him. When our cups are full of Him, we will be ready when He does.


Psalm 90:17 – “May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us-- yes, establish the work of our hands.”


I would add: “--yes, establish the work of our cups.”


Lord God,

Fill me with Yourself. May Your favor flow from my life so that others know Who You are. Thanks that You do the work and the filling. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue- I pray that Ps 90 passage continually-"bless the work of my hands"...also, your "filling up' prayer hit home as well. I remember loftily/sincerely praying this in 1983: "empty me of myself, Lord, that I might be filled up with you." Several months later, angered and complaining about the rigors/demands of my life as a new mother I wrote in my journal: " I feel like I have no life anymore-like I have lost myself." God sent me to Mark 8:34,35-"whoever wants to save his life shall lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it..." Bingo!That newborn is 24 years old now and I have been brought back to this verse more times than I can recall-certainly through moves through 2 countries, 5 states, 8 towns, and 13 residences. And He is faithful, of course, because He knows that this is best way. "dying daily that we may live in Him." Rom 6:4 and Gal 2:20

suedonaldson said...

I always knew you were smarter than me, little sister. Thanks for sharing - all true, still for me. love, sue