Wednesday, July 2, 2008

This is the day...

by Debbi Weeks


One of my all-time favorite commercials is one that came out a few years ago for Disneyland. The main line of the commercial is given by a young boy, probably about 6 years old, who says in anticipation of going to Disneyland the next day, “We’re too excited to sleep!” He’s just so cute, and then at the end of the commercial his mom and dad are in bed and the mom leans over to the dad and asks, “Are you asleep?” Mutteringly the dad mimics his son (but with much less enthusiasm) and says, “No, I’m too excited to sleep.”

Much like the kid in this commercial, I sometimes find myself “pushing time.” I wish for time to pass and pass quickly. Sometimes it’s to get something over with (like last week in Mexico – “I just wish it was Sunday and I was in my own home, showering alone and sleeping in my own bed”). And, I’m not so far removed from having small ones that I don’t remember pushing time to have them in school – or later to have them drive themselves! Or, sometimes I’ve pushed time to get to something I’m looking forward to (lately it’s been, “I can’t wait until the end of July when Seth gets home and we can be together as a family”). The problem with both is that I end up not enjoying or appreciating the place that I’m in at present.

The truth is that God uses everything. And not just the big things; not just the trips to Disneyland, but even the seemingly unimportant nights before the trip to Disneyland! He uses waiting, He uses suffering, He uses . . . everything! And what is He using it for? Our sanctification - to make us more Christlike. There are lessons that can only be learned in the here and now . . . not in tomorrow or the future. God had lessons for me to learn in Mexico that I can’t learn in the luxury of my own shower!

I’m reminded of the little ditty I’ve heard quoted before, “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift. That's why it's called The Present!” I need to bask in the present of today realizing that God is using today to make me into the person He wants me to be.

Psalm 118:24 says, “This is the day the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” Note that it doesn’t say tomorrow is the day the Lord has made; rejoice and be glad that you have something to look forward to! Rejoice with me in today and be glad that God is faithful to use everything and everyday to shape you into the woman He wants you to be!

Father God, I praise You for you are good; Your lovingkindness is everlasting.

I confess that I sometimes want to “push” time to avoid the tough times where there are lessons I could only learn there or to get on to a place I’d rather be – when I really need to rest in the place You have me today.

Thank You that You have a good plan for each of my days and that You are faithful to sanctify me unto Christlikeness.

Lord, please let me really live in appreciation for the here and now, rejoicing in this day that you have given me.

In Christ’s Name, Amen

2 comments:

joy said...

oh, debbi, i love this one! i do this all the time and it is a struggle and a discipline for me to find contentment in today. tomorrow is always on my mind--just look at my calendar. but, i know that i don't want to miss today, because it is a gift. thanks for the wise words.

Alicia said...

I'm enjoying reading your entries...keep em comin':)