Friday, July 11, 2008

Simplify, Focus, Execute

by Missy Grant

“Simplify, Focus, Execute.” Those are words spoken by local Parable Group President Steve Potratz. At first hearing you might think that is just a catchy phrase, but when you start to ponder it…..you realize the applicability to our lives. Do you feel like a little bible reading today? I hope so…

So I came to Jerusalem and was there three days.

And I arose in the night, I and a few men with me. I did not tell anyone what my God was putting into my mind to do for Jerusalem and there was no animal with me except the animal on which I was riding.

So I went out at night by the Valley Gate in the direction of the Dragon's Well and on to the Refuse Gate, inspecting the walls of Jerusalem which were broken down and its gates which were consumed by fire.

Then I passed on to the Fountain Gate and the King's Pool, but there was no place for my mount to pass.

So I went up at night by the ravine and inspected the wall. Then I entered the Valley Gate again and returned.

The officials did not know where I had gone or what I had done; nor had I as yet told the Jews, the priests, the nobles, the officials or the rest who did the work.

Then I said to them, "You see the bad situation we are in, that Jerusalem is desolate and its gates burned by fire. Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem so that we will no longer be a reproach."

I told them how the hand of my God had been favorable to me and also about the king's words which he had spoken to me. Then they said, "Let us arise and build." So they put their hands to the good work.

But when Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite official, and Geshem the Arab heard it, they mocked us and despised us and said, "What is this thing you are doing? Are you rebelling against the king?"

So I answered them and said to them, "The God of heaven will give us success; therefore we His servants will arise and build, but you have no portion, right or memorial in Jerusalem.” Nehemiah 2:11-20.

Simplify – How complex is your life? Seriously, I’m asking. If you were to sit down and write out all you do in a three day span, what would the chart look like? Those with small children are thinking, “First, I don’t ever get to sit down and second, I don’t have time to make a chart.” Sure you do. Sit on the floor, take the crayon out of your toddler’s mouth and start writing. Do you see from the text above how Nehemiah took inventory? He got on an animal and rode around and through the city (v13). He couldn’t access everything (v14), but kept at it until all had been inspected. Simplifying takes inspection and introspection.

Focus – What jumps out at you from your chart? The enormous amount of tasks and time given to childcare, the amount of time given to friends, the amount of time you do have but didn’t recognize it, or did you not have enough room to write it all out! Women were created to multi-task (I’m sure I can find scripture to support that…!) But our multi-tasking can become epidemic and interfere with the Holy Spirit’s work in our lives. In order to focus we must take time of inspection and introspection (aka…time with the Lord in His word and in prayer).

Execute –Verse 17 is the execution order of this chapter…”You see the bad situation we are in…come, let us rebuild the wall.” Nehemiah’s heart was in tune with the Lord’s. First he had a desire to go to Jerusalem and see for himself what was happening. Second, he assessed the physical condition of the wall, but in the final words of Chapter three addresses the spiritual condition as well. And then gives glory where it is due, “God of heaven will give us success…”

Simplify, Focus, Execute…do not be afraid to ask the Lord to do this in your life. Be clay in the potter’s hand. Most of us desire to simplify and focus, but are unwilling to shine the light of the Lord on our lives in areas that need to be inspected and rebuilt. Let the Lord encourage you in His word….

Almighty God, thank you for your word. We praise your ways today O Lord. I confess simplifying, focusing, and execution are painful processes at times. Help me Lord to remove those items which are in the way of the building process of Your grace and Your mercy and Your compassion in my life. May your name be honored today. Amen.

1 comment:

joy said...

you are so right--execution is the big challenge. what a great passage of Scripture. Thanks for sharing and teaching my heart today.