Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What's Your Mind Set?

WHAT’S YOUR MIND SET?

by Debbi Weeks

One of my favorite books is written by Elizabeth George and is entitled, Loving God with all Your Mind. It has always had study questions as part of the book, but now there’s a new anniversary edition and a workbook that goes with it. This book has been so powerful in my life that I like to “do” it every year or so – I’ve just recently started it again. What I appreciate most about this book is that it challenges me and gives me practical help in training my mind towards godliness.

Romans 12: 1 and 2 says, Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Renewing my mind and having the proper mindset is essential to a healthy and growing spiritual life. Our mindsets are interesting because we have great control over what we set our mind on and it impacts every area of our life.

Lorraine Maksoudian, a mature, godly woman, who has imparted much wisdom in my life, once shared this exercise with me: she told me to look around the room and take in all the colors in the room. Then she told me to close my eyes and open them again, but this time to look for the blue things in the room. All the blue items just “popped” out. I began to see blue everywhere! She said this is what it’s like to have a mind set on something – what I have my mind set on will make it “pop” out.

Check out these exhortations from God’s Word in regards to our mindset:

Colossians 3:1-3

Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

Romans 8:5-8

For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Philippians 4:8-9

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

So what is your mind set on today? Perhaps you can write out one of the verses above and begin to commit it to memory. God’s Word is a wonderful thing to have your mind set on! J

Father God I praise You that You alone are God. Praise You for being always faithful.

I confess that I set my mind on things that distract me from being fully devoted to You.

Thank You for Your faithfulness in my life to grow me up in You.

Please renew my mind and keep me focused on You. Help me to train my thoughts to dwell on the honorable, right, pure and lovely things, and the things that are of good repute, worthy of praise and excellent.

In Christ’s Name, Amen.



1 comment:

joy said...

i love that exercise that lorraine took you through--what a great illustration of how we can train our minds to focus on Jesus more.