Monday, July 14, 2008

Walking in Grace

by Peggy B.

“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast.” Eph. 2:8-9

In my blog on June 30, I talked about God’s grace. Sue Donaldson (who seems to have appointed herself my personal challenger J ) asked me if I might talk more about walking in God’s grace, so here goes!

Pastor Tim has been challenging me lately to think more about God’s grace than I ever have in my whole life. I am so excited about the thought that I don’t have to have a “to do” list to please God, or gain His favor. It’s ALL about God’s grace. (see June 30’s post for more on this).

First, I’ll use this little acronym I learned as a kid to define grace:

God’s

Riches

At

Christ’s

Expense

Salvation, and everything after that, is given to me at Christ’s expense, not my works. I don’t have to do or be different than I am. I am a child of God, through Christ’s work!

So here’s my “Walking in God’s Grace” thought for today:

When I have one of my inevitable moments when I am feeling insufficient, not measuring up, disappointed in myself for not being “spiritual” enough, I am going to preach myself the gospel yet again… Jesus died, WHILE I was in still in sin, to give me God’s riches (yep, Grace!) I don’t have to measure up, He already does! Then I am going to thank God for His miraculous gift, forgive myself for being a human being, and get on with what He has for me to do. No more indulging in that old pity party (doesn’t Satan just love to get us there?) God’s ready to use me now…how cool is that?

I am reminded of this Hymn that is probably very familiar to you:

“Just as I am without one plea,

But that Thy blood was shed for me.

Because Thy promise I believe,

Oh, Lamb of God I come, I come!”

Lord, I long to see myself through your eyes of grace! Help me to walk daily in your Grace. I thank you that at the cross, it was FINISHED, not just begun. Thank you for taking pleasure in me, just as I am. Amen



3 comments:

Miss Potter said...

Hi Peggy! Thanks for this post. I'm leading a devo this morning here at camp and I'm kind of nervous about it but your post reminded me that it's not really about me, but God works through me by His grace. And I meant to say this earlier, but Happy Anniversary!

Jessica Potter

suedonaldson said...

Peggy,
I have this great image of you standing up in front of . . .YOU -- preaching yourself the Gospel! Love it! And, I'll be standing right next to you (next to you. . .) xx

Anonymous said...

Yep, HIS grace is sufficient, isn't it. Love that! Thanks for the reminder that it truly is all about HIM.