Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Gardening, Part I

I don’t know much about gardening. I do know it is a lot of work. Most gardens don’t flourish with neglect.

No, wait. Not completely true. One part works well (very) with studied neglect: the weeds. The longer ignored, the better they grow—deepening their roots, some even sprouting flowers.

I don’t know why. I don’t even plant them. They just appear – like unwelcome relatives (did I say that?)

When and if I finally notice a pesky little weed pushing through, I may even bend down and pull it up. More often than not, I miss it altogether, walk right past, more important things on my mind.

In the meantime, they grow taller and deeper and invite their friends. Finally, instead of a quick fix, bend down, grab-it-and-go kind of fix – I can’t even get the dang thing out with two hands and a-heave-and-a-ho.

In comes my husband with a 13 horsepower roto-tiller that costs money, time and energy. (See Mark disguised as the kitchen-towel bandit – too bad it’s not on video – his arms continued to bounce well into the evening. . .)



Sigh. Why didn’t I pull the weeds when it was easier and cheaper and less effort?

My sins are like weeds. They flourish with neglect. Un-beckoned, they arrive, and overstay their welcome.

Sure, I may feel a conscience prick at first. But, when ignored, sin burrows fast and furious, spreading deep roots, invading unintended territory.

In the end, I have to spend far too much time and energy and horsepower getting rid of my sin and all its collateral damage: people hurt, God ignored, ministry missed—all because I neglected it in the first place.

I could learn a lot from gardening. Pull the weed as soon as I see it. Keep short accounts with God. He is quick to forgive.

Psalm 51:7 – “Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.”

Father,
Help me make short work with those weeds that raise their ugly heads, no matter what I do. You are not surprised when I sin. You might wonder why I wait to do nothing about it. Amen.

PS Time to get some lemonade for that frustrated park ranger of mine. At least he likes big machines, if that’s any comfort. Probably not.

No comments: