Friday, July 4, 2008

God Bless America

by Kate Hasson

The Fourth of July! Oh how exciting! I tried to explain the importance of this day to my daughter this morning and began to be so proud and glad to be an American. I thought of what Christ said to the Pharisees, “render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s and unto God what is God’s” and saw how even He confirms that there is an appropriate allegiance we are to pay to our country. How thankful I am to be an American, where I have been granted so many privileges and freedoms. How I have an English bible in my own hands and a church of my choice to attend every Sunday, owning a home and two cars, food on my table three times a day with treats and snacks interspersed, two closets full of clothes for my family, a steady and enjoyable job for my husband, etc...

God certainly has blessed America. But as the saying goes, has “America Blessed God”? I pray today that my heart and all Christians’ hearts across America will be set on blessing the One True God and will be focused not on being blessed by Him but living for His glory alone! There are many things to praise Him for and today is the day to praise Him for our country’s freedom. May we use this freedom to stand for what is Right and True and in whatever circumstance may we never shy away from proclaiming Jesus to the rest of the unsaved in this country. May we use our freedom to do only what is holy. America, lets bless God!

I love the last verse of

“My Country, ‘Tis of Thee”

“Our fathers’ God, to Thee, Author of liberty, to Thee we sing:

Long may our land be bright with freedom’s holy light;

Protect us by They might, Great God , our King! AMEN

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

All that I can think is a loud, reverberating AMEN!