Monday, June 9, 2008

3:16

3:16

Peggy B.

A long time ago, I heard someone (my dh Wayne) teach lessons on the 3:16s of the Bible. It was fun and enlightening. So, I thought I’d take a few weeks and look at some together with you. (These are mine, not his!)

Today we’ll start with Exodus 3:16: (New Living)

"Now go and call together all the leaders of Israel. Tell them, 'The Lord, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob—appeared to me in a burning bush. He said, "You can be sure that I am watching over you and have seen what is happening to you in Egypt.

There are days when I feel that I am alone in Egypt. (“Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, guess I’ll eat some worms!”) It seems like my bad situations last forever and everyone else’s life just goes on merrily for them. I always know God is there, but I can’t “feel” Him and there just doesn’t seem to be an end to my situation.

If you’ve ever felt that way, this is for you. God has given us a promise (not just here, but in many other places in scripture). I guess I’m sort of being a Moses to you. I’m telling you “God has appeared to me in His word. He said “You can be sure that I am watching over you and have seen what is happening to you”.

He doesn’t say “you can feel me watching you”. He simply says “I am watching”.

We women can place so much importance on feelings, but I have learned over the years that feelings are overrated! (Do any of you always feel like doing laundry, going to work, cooking dinner….? And yet you do them as an act of your will!) God is asking us to, as an act of our will, believe scripture and count on His presence during ALL of our situations.

Notice too, Moses was to call them all together to give them this news? Do you suppose God knew that they would need one another’s reminder and encouragement when the going got tough? I know I certainly need that from my friends when I’m having a struggle. Do you have a close friend or 2 that you can call on for prayer and encouragement? Look in your Sunday School class, your small group Bible Study group, or your Growth Group. I know that you will find them there! What an encouragement to know that God is watching and that others are in it with you!!

And remember, God didn’t leave Israel in Egypt forever…what a miraculous Exodus they had!

“Lord, your arms are big and my faith is small. Give me eyes of faith to see you in all of my life situations. I cannot do this life on my own, so I trust you to watch over me. Help me to leave things in your mighty hands. Amen”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Peggy -
I think I should read this message daily! I need the constant reminder that God is watching and He knows exactly what I am going through each day. It is such a comfort to remember I don't have to "do this life on my own".
I am enjoying this blog site –“Thank you” to all of the ladies involved!

Anne Albright

Anonymous said...

Peggy, thank you so much for this message today. I am blessed, encouraged, and so grateful that I don't have to "do this life on my own". Thanks for the reminder!