Monday, June 30, 2008

Am I Grown Yet?

Am I Grown Yet?

Peggy B.

Spurred on by Pastor Tim’s messages from Galatians, I have been doing a lot of thinking about God’s grace alone in my life. If you’ve not been following them, I highly encourage you to get the CDs and catch up.

What I’ve been thinking about, but haven’t even begun to get a hold of, is how EVERYTHING in my life is by God’s grace; my salvation, my growth, my day to day living. There is nothing I can do to make myself more “Christian” or more mature except walk in His grace.

These wandering thoughts led me to one of those “Ah Ha!” moments we all have in our lives. I tend to struggle with a form of legalism. You know, I have to have a quiet time 6 out of 7 days to be a mature Christian. In order for God to use me I have to….. (You fill in the blank) or “I’ll do _____ as soon as I am mature.”

That’s where the ah ha moment came about. One day God poked my brain to realize that I AM where I am. I don’t need to wait “until” for Him to use me. I don’t have to attain a certain level of Christ likeness to step out. His plan is for me now, exactly where I am. I will NEVER be where I “need” to be or even where I think I “should” be. And He’s never upset with me for where I am (or am not!) This is it! What God wants to use is me; now, in process, warts and all.

The deal is there is no end result this side of Heaven. I’m gonna be “in process” from here on out, and if I wait until, then I will have been useless my entire life. Wow! What a huge burden is lifted off of my shoulders! It is God’s responsibility to use me in the ways He has for me and all I have to do is be available. Woo hoo!!!!! I am free J.

Let’s all be about our Father’s business NOW, not in a year or two. It’s His plan!

Philippians 1:6 (NLT)

And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.

2 comments:

RefreshMom said...

Great point!

I remember when I first realized this and the freedom that came from realizing that I didn't have to wait to be used until I was married or had children, etc. It's a good thing too--I had several years of being involved in full time ministry before I met my husband (and married at age 31). What a lot of time and opportunity could have been wasted if I'd bought into the ideas that some had tried to bestow on me.

Whatever our age, marital status or maturity level, God's got something for us to do right now.

Mary

suedonaldson said...

Love that line, Peggy: "there is no end result until heaven." That's a big relief and comfort, in some weird way. Thanks for your reminder. Next, I'd like your thoughts on what it means /looks like to you to "walk in God's grace." (you don't mind an assignment, do you - from one teacher to another?? :) )