Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Revelation Through Struggles

by Debbi Weeks

I’m coming off of a difficult week – physically and emotionally demanding. Mexico was uncomfortable to say the least. God chose to say “no” to most of my prayers for the trip – that tends to be discouraging for me. I’m left tired and weary. It’s times like these that I have to remind myself of what I know to be true. I have to preach the gospel to myself or I could stay here for a good long while. So what are the truths that I encourage myself with?

· God is a good God and He always has my best interests in mind. He gives good gifts. Mark 10:18; Matthew 7:11

· God has a plan and it is good. Jeremiah 29:11; Romans 8:28

· God cares about me. I Peter 5:6-8

· I do not suffer needlessly, but God uses everything. Psalm 126:5-6; 2 Corinthians 1:5; James 1:3

· God’s perspective is different than my perspective and because He sees the whole picture His view is far greater. Isaiah 55:8-9

I’m still processing through Mexico and trusting God to reveal to me what He would have me learn from the trip. I don’t want to waste this past week.

P.S. One of the families that we built for was changed at the last minute – that was the family my team built for. We built a home for Daniel (the husband and father), Miriam (the wife and mother) and Daniella (their 2 year old daughter). I’m sure I’ll be telling you more about them in the future. Please pray for their salvation as I’m pretty sure they don’t know Christ as their Savior.

Father God, I praise You that You know the beginning from the end. I praise You for omniscience in knowing all things.

I confess that I lack faith when things don’t turn out the way I think they should! And, I confess the arrogance of that!

Thank You for You have a good plan for my time in Mexico and for all the times when we suffer. Thank You that You will use all things for our good.

Lord, please give me eyes to see what You would have me learn from this trip.

In Christ’s Name, Amen

3 comments:

joy said...

glad you're back. thanks for the reminder that God sometimes does answer no and that there is still a good purpose in Him doing so. He does have our best interests at heart and we don't have His perspective. I guess that's where the faith and trust come in. Can't wait to hear more about your experience in Mexico.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Debbi for your encouragement to us who are going through difficult times....it is so easy to be discouraged when things don't follow OUR plan, so thanks for reminding us that HIS plan is perfect, and HIS ways are higher than ours, and that HE does care for us ALWAYS even in the midst of our difficulties.

Suzette said...

Debbi - I know this is late, but I just had to comment.

The Summer before my son Matt was in first grade I was a parent helper during Sunday School. The college gal whose name I don't remember did such a great job talking to the kids about how God answers prayer.

Apparently God NEVER says NO. He says Yes, Wait, or I HAVE SOMETHING BETTER. I always think about this when I pray. When things don't go my way I always wonder what is the something better. Sort of like wondering what wonderful gift is wrapped up in it all.

Any way it makes me so glad that my kids are getting the teaching that they are at Grace.