Monday, June 16, 2008

Joshua 3:16

Joshua 3:16

Peggy B.

“the waters which were flowing down from above stood and rose up in one heap, a great distance away at Adam, the city that is beside Zarethan; and those which were flowing down toward the sea of the Arabah, the Salt Sea, were completely cut off. So the people crossed opposite Jericho.”

After the Jews’ exodus from Egypt and 40 years of wandering in the desert, God commanded Joshua to lead the people across the Jordan River and into the Promised Land. I can see it all now…the priests carrying the Ark of the Covenant, leading all of the rest of the nation. Joshua tells them that as soon as the priests carrying the ark set foot in the water, the water will be cut off. (v. 13) Verse 15 tells us that the Jordan is at flood stage! I don’t know about you, but I’m guessing that my response would have been “Yeah, right! You think I’m gonna put my foot into a flooding river BEFORE the water goes away????”

Israel, who wandered for 40 years because of their lack of faith, didn’t have much of a record of trusting God. Their “faith” memory was incredibly short. I confess that I am more like Israel than I would care to think…I trust God when it’s easy, but when it doesn’t seem to make sense, then I am prone to try to work things out my own way, forgetting about His faithfulness to me in the past.

But God (aren’t those the best 2 words?), once again proved Himself faithful. AS SOON as the priest’s feet touched the water’s edge (v.15) God piled up the water. Can you imagine the sight? A flooding river “rose up in one heap” on one side and was “completely cut off” on the other. I’ve often tried to imagine what that must have looked and sounded like. I imagine it must have been hard to believe as the people crossed. Not only crossing, but on DRY land! Wow!

For me, today, the reminder is that God extends His grace to me, even when my faith has faltered and I don’t easily remember what He has done for me in the past. He is waiting to work in my life in great and small ways. I have to be willing to put my toes in the water and walk forward when He shows me the path.

The other thing I want to do is be a faithful rememberer. (Is that a word?) What HAS God done for me in the past? He has blessed me over and over again in my life in so many ways. I want to remember and give Him the praise.

“Lord, I thank you for your faithfulness to me throughout my life. Open my eyes to see your work in my life, my heart to be thankful, my mind to remember and my mouth to be quick to praise your Name and encourage others. Amen”

No comments: