Friday, June 27, 2008

Not by My Might

by Missy Grant

Have you experienced times in your life when you seem to be walking in His paths, but life just keeps tossing you off as if you were a cowgirl on a bucking bronco? I think you know what I mean - you are actively seeking His face through prayer and His word, you are looking to the needs of others ("mom, can you.....mom, will you.....mom, what's for dinner.....mom, I need to be at youth group by...."), you are responding to the needs of good friends, you are being a good employee with your time and talents....You are living life, but constant challenge seems to lurk around every corner. Let me share a story with you.

"Then the angel who was speaking with me returned and roused me, as a man who is awakened from his sleep.

He said to me, "What do you see?" And I said, "I see, and behold, a lampstand all of gold with its bowl on the top of it, and its seven lamps on it with seven spouts belonging to each of the lamps which are on the top of it;

also two olive trees by it, one on the right side of the bowl and the other on its left side."

Then I said to the angel who was speaking with me saying, "What are these, my lord?"

So the angel who was speaking with me answered and said to me, "Do you not know what these are?" And I said, "No, my lord."

Then he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts. What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become a plain; and he will bring forth the top stone with shouts of Grace, grace to it!' " Zechariah 4:1-7

The above story is from the book of Zechariah. In a vision, the Lord is showing His mighty hand. The olive tree represents two offices. The kingly office of of Zerubabbel and the priestly office of Joshua. My Ryrie study bible explains it this way, "Zerubbabel, who is a civil leader, was encouraged by the vision. The temple would be finished by the power of the Holy Spirit' every mountain (obstacle) would be removed. When the top stone was put in place, the people would beseech God for GRACE upon the temple."

Did you catch verse 6 and 7? 'Not by might nor by power...' In other words, not by human effort alone. 'What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become a plain...' The Lord is explaining all obstacles will be removed. The mountain represents obstacles and the plain is the smooth, straight path of the Lord. Is. 40:4 says, "Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain." Is. 42:16 says, "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."

Life with the Lord will have Godly obstacles. It is part of the refining process - that process which removes the impurities in us. Remember, the Lord is making us more Christlike. It is only by the power of the Holy Spirit that the work will be completed and mountains made like plains. Where are you today? What obstacles are mountains in your path? Stay in His word, be active in prayer, beseech the Lord for grace.

Almighty God, we come to you right now with man made obstacles and some God ordained ones as well. May we seek you and you alone. May we recognize Your mighty hand. Encourage us today, Lord.


No comments: