Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I Praise God for the Public Schools

I PRAISE GOD FOR THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS

by Debbi Weeks

Yes, I praise God for the public schools. Some of you are appalled right now, but I stand by my praise. We (my family) have learned so many God-lessons through the public schools that I can’t help but praise Him for them. I recognize that God may lead other families to another form of education, but I want to challenge and encourage those who God is leading in and to the public schools – and yes, God does lead to the public schools!

In John chapter 17 we learn the scripture principle of being in the world while not being of the world. John 17: 15-17 says, "I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.

I’m also reminded of Beth Moore’s words in her study of Daniel: “We have been assigned to this Babylon at this particular time.”

Through our family’s experience in the public schools we have learned first hand that while we are in the world that we are not of the world and we’ve learned that this is the Babylon that God has placed us in. It is up to us to influence or be influenced. It hasn’t always been easy, but I praise the Lord for those times too (some of the best God-lessons are hard ones!).

Here are just a few of the lessons we’ve learned and that I (we) praise God for:

  • I praise God for teaching us that Christian public school teachers/administrators and staff can share the love of Christ and point people to Him without ever uttering His name.
  • I praise God for teaching me how to pray (REALLY PRAY) and watch for his faithful answers – (I’m still seeing answers to prayers that we prayed in a Moms in Touch group that I was in many years ago!)
  • I praise God for teaching us that it’s not all about us – but it might be about the student sitting next to us who needs to see Jesus.
  • I praise God for teaching us that an academic education is not the end all be all (although I believe my kids have received a fine education) – that there is more to life-learning than academics and that other people are by far the most important.
  • I praise God for teaching us that even when you think you’re in the worst possible class with the worst possible teacher that He has a far greater plan for you than you can envision and that it is always best.
  • I praise God for teaching us how to build friendships with non-believers and share the love of Christ with them.
  • I praise God for teaching us how to relate to different cultures, races, socio-economic groups, abilities, disabilities and belief systems through our relationships with students and teachers alike.
  • I praise God for teaching us to step out of our comfort zones to be bold.
  • I praise God for the opportunity to shine as bright lights in the darkness.

I’ve been saddened by the mass exodus of Christian families from the public schools effectively diluting our influence. They leave for many reasons: “better” education for their kids, fear, convenience, peer pressure, control, time constraints and flexibility to name a few. I suppose there’s a whole host of reasons. As I was praying about this recently, God reminded me of Gideon’s army (check out Judges 7) when He had Gideon “trim” the troops so that it would be unmistakable that it was God that won the battle. Just as He thinned Gideon’s Army, He can accomplish His purposes (and for His glory) in the public schools with very few, but I’m thankful to have had the opportunity to be in the “fight” on the “front lines” because that’s where you get to see God at work. And when you see God at work, your view of God is increased and when your view of God is increased, then your faith is built!

We’ve seen God work in and through us in the public schools and for that I am eternally grateful. We pray for fruit in the lives that we’ve had the opportunity to be involved in. We’ve only got one more year; I’m excited to see God at work in it! Yes, praise God for the public schools and God bless the public schools.

Father God, thank You that You are omnipresent and Your hand is at work in the most unlikely places.

I confess that I am frightened by being alone and lack faith that you will still accomplish your purposes when the tide looks like it is going a different direction.

Thank you for your faithfulness in letting us see You at work in the public schools and for your continued answers to prayer.

Lord, please give Christian families the courage to trust You with their precious children and the eyes to see Your mighty hand at work.

In Christ’s Name, Amen

11 comments:

joy said...

debbi are you really up at 5AM? i love this post today--it's very challenging, especially for me. we have decided to send eli to sloca next year. i know that technically it's not private and i do love that because i do believe that we as Christians can have an impact in this world. i have struggled with the very things you mentioned, wondering if sloca was a right fit for us. we're committed to next year and i'm excited about the year, but we will continue to pray for wisdom. thanks for challenging me this morning. love you!

Kristen Borland said...

debbi, this is a very good message for us! we have gone back and forth on this issue. we originally planned on homeschooling but all a long knew we may not be able to (my health restrictions), God may lead us a different direction, we may have children that need the services of a public school and/or would do better in that setting, or i just may not be cut out for it. recently a friend and her husband decided to go back into the public school system after homeschooling for many years. her journey has taught me a lot and caused many discussions between mike and me. (i'm going to send her a link to your post.) it's a very scary thing to send our kids to public school. i won't pretend i'm okay with it! but it's a very scary thing to feel like we have to homeschool, even if i do a lousy job. and worse, it would be sinful to choose homeschooling simply out of fear for our kids. this is a big issue. i'm glad you decided to write about it. thank you!

suedonaldson said...

Right on, Debbi Weeks! It's not as if we sacrifice our kids or throw them to the wolves without our help, our prayers, our talking through every issue along the way. AND, it's so exciting (and fun, many times) to be "Jesus" to that teacher, that counselor, that child - at just the right time and place. They may not have met Him otherwise.

And, guess what? No arena is perfect - it's not meant to be this side of heaven. The more our kids learn to run to God in childhood, we hope and pray the more that will be their "default mode" as adults in the wild and wooley world of college and business. Good thoughts and words, deb.

Alicia said...

Dearest Debbie,
My eyes are blurry right now. It's Alicia (Owens). My friend Kristen refered me this link. I am so amazed right now at God's amazing hand, one that you are dear to my heart because of my dad, Mark, and two that God led me to you to have my heart encouraged.
I just walked in the door from my husband and I taking our three kids up to meet their teachers for next year. God DID lead us into public school and I never thought that would happen. I have seen one blessing after another and although I am very nerveous I am learning to trust God like never before, I can FEEL my faith growing.
I just want to thank you for this post. I thought of you and Matt when we were talking about this because I wondered what your journey had been. There are so few christians I know who have taken this path.
On that note, I have a question. All of my friends homeschool (which is fine, I want to encourage them) and I don't know where to go for support in this transition. How do you find other christian moms? I too feel called to a greater life of prayer. How do you find other women to pray with. I don't really know anyone in public school! I am starting to feel a little alone all of a sudden. It is hard to go against this movement out. Ironically the Lord has been impressing on me too the saddness of this great exit. I don't want to put my children there for the sole purpose of being salt and light. I want them there because God is moving them to be there. If he chooses to use them while they get the education He wants for the, I will be excited, and I will encourage them while praising God. It is nearly as sad as all believers moving out into a commune away from society. I did not see this ever before, and I had become a real "homeschool" only person. I am so thankful God has stretched me to see that He is bigger than this.
I'm sorry to ramble. You can read our journey if you feel like a long read. www.shootforeternity.blogspot.com
starting with the blog post "Alicia, it's time to share" and continuing on from there.
Thank you again.
Blessings to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hubby and I talked, prayed, and cried (well, I cried) a lot in our decision on how we wanted to educate our kids. In choosing the private (secular) school that we did, we struggled with the knowledge that we were taking a little taste of salt and light out of the public school system. But we listened to some wise counsel that helped us see that we need to teach our young children at home about Jesus and His call on their lives before they can be expected to stand firm in their faith when tested, and unfortunately, testing comes much earlier than it did when we were kids. This can happen with public schooling as well, but we cherish the time we have with our kids at home. It forces us to think more of our own relationship with Jesus as we are constantly watched, morning til bedtime. I want my little kids to have every opportunity to learn about the Lord and grow strong in their conviction so that when they do enter public school, they are ready to stand firm in their faith. I have 100 other reasons for choosing to take my kids out of the public schools, but I won't post them here. This is just to say, "Amen!" for your decision to stay in public school and PRAY for your kids and those they spend their days with. I chose a different route but PRAY everyday like you, that God would be glorified in all things.

Anonymous said...

Debbi,
God bless you for writing on this "controversial" topic. Even though I don't have children, I have just worked my way through college and the credential program (with the help of your prayers and many others) and I am proud to be going into the public school system as a Teacher. What a joy it will be to get to be the light to the children and parents in my classroom.
I know that both Bekka and Seth have been HUGE lights at SLO High! Your prayers have been answered!
Heather Kelley

hugmom said...

Alicia-
I told Matt I think God had me write this post just for you! :)
That said, I think the best way to meet other Christian parents at your school is to pray that God would show them to you - and then get in there and get involved! That also helps you meet the unbelieving parents that you can pray you'll have an opportunity to share Christ with! Also, those Christian teachers probably have a good idea of other Christian parents at your school - if you can find even one other mom to pray with, it's a blessing. I was a part of a Moms In Touch group for many years. You can go to www.momsintouch.org to see if there's a group already at your school, or you can start one if there isn't one there yet!
God bless you in your new adventure!
Debbi
P.S. I did go to your blogspot and was so encouraged to see how God is leading your family. He will take care of your children and make them strong - they'll have opportunity to see Him work.

hugmom said...

I can't see my last comment, but I think I might have made an error in the Moms in Touch webaddress - it should be .org (not .com if that's what I wrote!) Sorry!
Debbi

Anonymous said...

My experience being educated in private school and now my children in private school, is that there are MANY non-christian families in private school as well. Heck... I had Jewish and Hindu classmates at my Christian private school. I saw many lives transformed and changed growing up in private school. Many classmates who had parents that claimed to be 'Christian' yet looked much like those of the world. Their families never attended church, so Wednesday chapel and bible class was the only time they heard God's word.

One example is on my cheer squad made up of 14 girls, only 5 of us had made the commitment to follow Chirst, by our Freshman year of high school. The 5 of us got together and we prayed intensely that our entire squad we be sold out for Jesus by the end of the year. It took a little longer than the end of the year... but we only had to wait for the Summer cheer camp to see the last 2 members of the squad to make the decision to become a Christian. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

Like you said God appoints families to where HE needs them. And those who do choose private school for their kids, pray and agonize over the decision as well. I will add though, I've never met a parent who said they regreted sending their child to private school, but know many who has regreted sending their child to public schools.

Alicia said...

Thank you Debbie for the link!
Again, i'm so grateful for your encouragement!
blessings to your family:)
PS: I've put this blog in my RSS feed so I plan to keep up on it! Look forward to further thoughts. It's such a neat idea to pull your insight together.

Jacquelyn said...

Thanks Debbie for the insight. I'm so glad that those who are called to the public school system take that responsibility seriously. I'm also glad and kind of relieved that we weren't called to that situation! It's good to see how God can be faithful wherever we are. It's also a good reminder to me that I need to pray for my children in their "safe" little secular private school and I need to be careful of how I talk about the mission field you and your kids ministered in.