Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Living and Active

LIVING AND ACTIVE

by Debbi Weeks

I’m reading a fascinating book called, In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, by Mark Batterson. I think I’d recommend it, but since I’m not done with it yet, I’m not exactly sure! J The title is from a verse in 2 Samuel 23:20. Now, I’ve read through the Bible on several occasions, but I don’t remember ever reading anything about a man named Beneniah who jumped in a pit with a lion on a snowy day.

Then, in the second chapter of the book, he refers to a story in 2 Kings 6 about an axe head that floats. Again, if I didn’t know better, I’d think that someone snuck the story of a floating axe head in as an interesting addendum to God’s Word! I don’t remember reading about this gravitational anomaly before.

I guess what excites me about these verses is that although I must have read them before they were as new to me as my babies were when they were placed in my arms for the very first time. I went to my Bible in both instances to make sure these verses were really in there – I wasn’t about to trust this stranger, especially when I couldn’t remember it being in there myself! It amazes me that there is so much to God’s Word that it is always fresh, teaching me about who God is and who I am to Him.

Hebrews 4:12 tells us, “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” And 2 Timothy 3:17 says “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

I don’t have much to write today, I’m just awed by the amazing mysterious ways of God to make His Word new and fresh to me again and again. This truth encourages me to keep reading to see what He has for me today. What’s new to you?

Father God, Praise You for your living and active, always new and fresh, inspired Word.

Forgive me for taking it for granted and thinking I know what you have to say.

Thank you for giving me the right word at the right time.

Please help me to see your Word for what it is - your love letter to me.

In Christ’s Name, Amen

No comments: