Thursday, June 5, 2008

Comfort of His Word

Comfort of His Word
Lisa Leonard


Psalm 139:13 & 14
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

These verses (actually the entire chapter) brought me so much comfort when David was born. I had planned and dreamed of a healthy baby. To be honest, I was devastated that we had a child with so many needs and felt my entire world crumble around me. Although it was such a difficult time when David was born, God has wonderful things planned for him and for us.

The Lord continues to show me his grace and beauty. This boy has brought more joy into our lives than we could have imagined. His body, although broken by human standards, was created by a loving God who doesn't make mistakes. I hadn't planned for this child, but the Lord planned for him. And he is wonderfully made.


2 comments:

jenny said...

Lisa, I've also been loving this passage as of late. I don't know if you've been up on all that's going on with our little one, but a similar concept: different outcomes from different expectations. But this Scripture is SO GOOD to remind us that all things God makes is wonderful and perfect in His eyes.
Love you and your son and your story.

Suzette said...

I just love that.

I was talking to a friend of mine awhile back and she was telling me how her Dad came to visit for no reason. They has such a great time. He was talking to her about how each of us has a place in God's plan that is important and irreplaceable. He used Paul as an example (he endured so many things and wrote all those books of the new testiment and spread the Gospel). He told her that we are each as important as Paul.

I told her that I don't think of it like that. It helps me so much more to think of your David. Some how when my health is giving me fits and everything hurts and I just want to cry and go back to bed and my young boys are jumping up and down saying "Come on Mom. We want to do something fun." I feel so bad for them. It is so hard for me when I feel like I am failing them as a mom.

At times like those I think of David. I say to myself "I'm just as important as David Leonard." I figure that if God can use David's life the way He does then He can use mine. My sons are learning compassion and I am learning to keep going even when it is tough.

But it is hard to trust sometimes, so thank you so much for sharing David's story.