Friday, June 6, 2008

In a Twinkling of an Eye

In a twinkling of an eye...
Kate Hasson

my girls have turned from babies into toddlers and as many mothers have warned me, it’ll just keep getting faster.
Last night I packed away Charlotte’s old clothes that don’t fit any longer to save for our next baby (someday soon, please!?) and brought out Suzannah’s old clothes to pass on to Charlotte. I got super emotional with this small transition. As I looked at Travis through tears, all I could say was, “It’s going too quickly...” Yes, the hard days are no fun and I usually look forward to putting the girls to bed at night and having my own time. But honestly, it truly, really only feels like last year that Suzannah was born. Can I really be the mother of two, with hopefully another on the way!? Time is passing and it scares me. I came to the realization that of all the things I hold most dear to me, I can’t really hold on to my two most “prized possessions”. I love my girls more than life itself and I can’t even keep them. They are growing into little girls and then someday will be a boy’s girlfriend, and then a man’s wife, and then a child’s mother, and then...and then I may be gone. And it will be all over. Oh, that I will take time to love them, not be busy with life.
As I grew shaky from sorrow and knowing that I have no grip on life itself I was comforted by God’s promise of Himself. Although I love Suzannah and Charlotte, my love for God runs so much more deep. I know that He will never leave me or forsake me. He holds me in His righteous right hand. He is steady and secure. He will never change. I can always put my faith in Him and will never be let down. He never sleeps nor slumbers but watches me both night and day. He is the Rock of Ages that I can hide in. He is outside of time! He has known me before I was even in my mother’s womb. I am thankful to be able to rest my short life in His strong arms.Suzannah at only a couple weeks old in her Aunt Jenny’s arms (who is expecting her own first daughter in just a few months!)


Charlotte, just 3 days old with her beamingly proud older sister.


My two big girls at Yosemite just a few days ago.

A song chorus that came to my mind while writing out my thoughts was
My life is in Your hands
And though I may not see clearly
I will lift my voice and sing
Cause your love does amazing things
Lord, I know, my life is in Your hands.
I trust You, Lord,
My life is in Your hands.”
My Life is in Your Hands by Kathy Trocolli

3 comments:

jenny said...

Oh Kate - I was just thinking of that very thought today. I remember how mom always says to me, "I didn't know I'd only get you for 17 years..." It sounds so short now that I'm about to be a mother. Only having my daughter for 17 years before some man takes her away? Aren't you glad we have a great God?

Peggy B. said...

Kate,
It helps to remember that they are not My "precious posessions" but that they are God's precious posessions on loan to me. Yes, we only have them in our arms for a short time, but always in our hearts. Besides, grownup kids ROCK!! (no snotty noses, backtalk, biting/kicking, boy/girl worries...) Plus I hear that grandkids are the best!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate - It's Susan Bowen from Calgary. This was such a precious read, as we watch our own Kim (that you babysat!) graduate from HS, with April & Benton not far behind.

The good news is this: I look back over the past 18 years and treasure all the laughter, ice cream cones, vacations and shoe shopping trips because they carry a weight of sweetness that goes with me everywhere.

Your girls will always be your girls. Your relationship will change as they (and you?!) grow and mature but they will ALWAYS be yours! My girls don't need my moment to moment TLC anymore - but they sure need my car keys, and my feedback, and my advice and a coffee out now and again.

Life is sweet,
Bless you, sister!
Susan