Thursday, June 19, 2008

Aging Gracefully

Aging Gracefully

Sue Donaldson

Another word for old age is “overripe.” Now, you’ve smelled an overripe peach or apricot. Only the little gnats hanging around your fruit bowl really want to be with them.

My mom says there’s nothing fun about getting old. I think it’s because she’s lost her sight for the most part and can’t drive or shop. That would be hard for me, too. She still emails almost daily – I’m proud of her. It doesn’t matter what size font she has to use!

John Piper said, “Aging is just ripening for eternity.”

Do you know anyone who is ripening perfectly – ripening, with just the right scent of Jesus around her? I do. Stella, Lorraine, Annadale, Liz, Marian. I like being around them. These women make me want Jesus more. They remind me I don’t need to worry about my laugh lines or grin gouges. I just want more of Jesus as I age. That’s called aging gracefully – full of grace – that’s what I want to be. And I won’t get it at the Estee Lauder counter. There is no coupon. And, there are no short-cuts.

Aging hits all of us (in case you were wondering). We will all be older by . . . let’s say . . . lunch.

We all age, but we don’t all age gracefully. How can we? Ask God. Let me know what He says. Maybe there’s some forgiving that needs doing. Or, some baggage that needs unloading. Looking backward for too long slows down the “full of grace” process. The older we get, the more others should know we’re heading towards eternity.

David wrote: “I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” (Psalm 27: 13)

Lord,

Since I will get older, may I age gracefully. Show me what isn’t gracious about me right now. And help me take care of it. I want to look forward to seeing you in the land of the living. Amen.

PS

I love it when I spend time with those graceful ladies I mentioned. I am hoping their grace will rub off on me. Liz came for coffee this morning. What a treat! Have one over soon. You might not want to say that you are inviting them because they are aging so nicely...

No comments: