Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Words for Father's Day

Words for Father's Day

Sue Donaldson

Father’s Day is around the corner (this is your “heads up”). Here’s a photo of my dad and our eldest at a Grace Church picnic at Mitchell Park.


Debbi’s dad (77) writes “pomes” on a regular basis. She got this one last week – worthy of sharing because it’s so sweet and a good reminder.

No gifts for Dad on Father's Day,
He has the toys with which to play,
And sox and shirts, and other stuff,
All things of which he has enough.

But second thought does give me pause,
Can't turn you off complete because,
A GIFT of CARD would sure be swell,
In which your thoughts for me you tell.

Love, Daddy-o

(Lee Wagner, June 4, 2008 to his daughters, Tammi Briggs and Debbi Weeks)

Adorable, huh? He’s a treat!

Our “daddy-o’s” don’t need a lot at this stage in life – except words of appreciation. My dad worked hard while we were little, and deserves time reading his mysteries in that wicker rocker on the front porch. I need to get a card off.

Solomon had much to say about good words. Here are some to consider for Father’s Day:

“A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.” (Proverbs 25:11)

“The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life.” (Proverbs 15:4)

“Children’s children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.” (Proverbs 17:6)

Dear Father,

Thank you for my dad. Help me show him how much I appreciate him. I am proud of him, and he needs to know. Because of You. Amen.

PS And he said he doesn’t need any more shirts


No comments: